FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Rodolfo Medina
 
Default rsync with crossover cable connection (was: Synchronize two computers)

Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> writes:

> Check and possibly post the output of "/sbin/ifconfig"
>
> "ssh -v user@192.168.0.2" might also help to diagnose your problem.



Still needing your help:

following the suggestion come from the list, I edited /etc/network/interfaces
on the first pc as follows:

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

, and on the second the same but with `192.168.0.2' in place of `192.168.0.1'.
Then I did `/etc/init.d/networking restart' on both, and `ifconfig' on the
first gives:

# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-03-0D-53-25-5C-86-16-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:219 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:7884 (7.6 KiB)

, and on the second

# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:8b:a2:6b:02
inet addr:192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::223:8bff:fea2:6b02/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:147 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:2
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:8928 (8.7 KiB)

, that look ok. The `ping' command from first machine:

$ ping 192.168.0.2
PING 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 192.168.0.2 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4000ms

, and analogously from second.

ssh from first pc gives:

# ssh -vvv 192.168.0.2
OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.2 [192.168.0.2] port 22.

, and analogously from second.

But rsync does not seem to work between the two. From first pc:

$ rsync -vr --delete test1 192.168.0.2:/home/rodolfo

, but nothing happens.

Further suggestions appreciated.

Rodolfo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Michael Mohn
 
Default rsync with crossover cable connection (was: Synchronize two computers)

Am 22.01.2010 um 19:24:43 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> writes:
>
>> Check and possibly post the output of "/sbin/ifconfig"
>>
>> "ssh -v user@192.168.0.2" might also help to diagnose your problem.
>
>
>
> Still needing your help:
>
> following the suggestion come from the list, I edited /etc/network/interfaces
> on the first pc as follows:
>

{ network ok }

> But rsync does not seem to work between the two. From first pc:
>
> $ rsync -vr --delete test1 192.168.0.2:/home/rodolfo
>
> , but nothing happens.
>

what do you want to accomplish with that command?
do you have the ssh-server installed on both hosts and does it work?



bye,

Michael.

--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:51 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default rsync with crossover cable connection (was: Synchronize two computers)

On Friday 22 January 2010 12:24:43 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> writes:
> > Check and possibly post the output of "/sbin/ifconfig"
> >
> > "ssh -v user@192.168.0.2" might also help to diagnose your problem.
>
> Still needing your help:
> The `ping' command from first machine:
>
> $ ping 192.168.0.2
> PING 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
>
> --- 192.168.0.2 ping statistics ---
> 5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4000ms
>
> , and analogously from second.

Most likely, the two computers still can't send packets to each other. Make
sure you are using the correct type of cable. You'll need a crossover cable
if neither side is a 1Gbit card. You should probably use a crossover cable
anyway.

Make sure the cable runs to/from the physical port that is eth0 on both side.

There could be some routing issues, too. But that would only be if one of
your other ports was using a 192.168.0.x address as well, or if you've got
some routing customizations.

Until you can get the pings to work ("X packets transmitted, X received, 0%
packet loss") any other sort of network protocol is not going to work either.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 01-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Michael Mohn
 
Default rsync with crossover cable connection (was: Synchronize two computers)

Am 22.01.2010 um 19:51:00 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:

> On Friday 22 January 2010 12:24:43 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> writes:
>>> Check and possibly post the output of "/sbin/ifconfig"
>>>
>>> "ssh -v user@192.168.0.2" might also help to diagnose your problem.
>>
>> Still needing your help:
>> The `ping' command from first machine:
>>
>> $ ping 192.168.0.2
>> PING 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
>>
>> --- 192.168.0.2 ping statistics ---
>> 5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4000ms
>>
>> , and analogously from second.
>
> Most likely, the two computers still can't send packets to each other. Make
> sure you are using the correct type of cable. You'll need a crossover cable
> if neither side is a 1Gbit card. You should probably use a crossover cable
> anyway.
>
> Make sure the cable runs to/from the physical port that is eth0 on both side.
>
> There could be some routing issues, too. But that would only be if one of
> your other ports was using a 192.168.0.x address as well, or if you've got
> some routing customizations.
>
> Until you can get the pings to work ("X packets transmitted, X received, 0%
> packet loss") any other sort of network protocol is not going to work either.



sorry for my post... i didn't look right... seems...

network is still broken.

sorry,


bye.

Michael.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org