Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 PM
"Wayne

Default Solution to Connecting to Verizon MiFi

In an effort to give back to the Debian Community, here is a rundown on
How I get wireless working with Verizon's MiFi hub.

D-link DWA-556 pciE Card with 3 antennas

Working on DJ, an AMD64 system, running Debian Testing, and connecting
to a Verizon MiFi.

These package were installed to get this working:
wicd, wpasupplicant, dhcp3-client, dhcp3-common, iproute, resolvconf.

The ath5K drivers at
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/files/madwifi/0.9.4/>

or from here; <http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download>
More info at : <http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/About/ath5k>

Using wicd version 2.0 as the network manager and the MadWifi ath5k
drivers and kernel 2.6.30.

This requires removing the ath9k driver (modprobe -r ath9k) and
installing the ath5k drivers (modprobe ath_pci). When testing with the
ath9k drivers the system would lock up and required a reboot. The card
worked for some time prior to the kernel Panic.

I added a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file with a "blacklist ath9k"
line (no quotes) to solve that problem.

When used with the MiFi the gateway is 192.162.1.1. The dns-domain is
myvzw.com. I found that the DNS server changes, so I configured the 1st
nameserver as 66.174.95.44, the 2nd as 8.8.8.8 and the 3rd as 8.8.4.4.
The latter 2 being public servers belonging to google. So far this is
working OK. The MiFi uses WPA-TKIP security and allow up to 5 computers
to connect to it at the same time.

I am using the dhcp3-client package mainly because I could not connect
with the dhcpd package.

Download speeds from my location, Cell tower about 3 miles away, is
running from ~100kBs to >900 kBs on the Verizon 3G Network. This
replaced a AT&T Sierra modem which averaged 12-15 kbs on the GSM
Network. Note: AT&T claims a faster 3G Network then Verizon but it
is not available here. Cost of either service is $60/mo with a 5190 MB
download Cap.

Note: If not able to connect to the internet, disable your firewall.
If you can then connect, fix your firewall. I use firehol.

Thanks Again Stan for all of your help.

Wayne

Old 01-31-2010, 03:57 AM
Celejar

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:15:36 -0500
"Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com>" <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

> In an effort to give back to the Debian Community, here is a rundown on
> How I get wireless working with Verizon's MiFi hub.

Consider putting this on wiki.debian.org?

Celejar

Old 01-31-2010, 04:40 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> put forth on 1/22/2010 12:15 PM:

> Note: If not able to connect to the internet, disable your firewall. If
> you can then connect, fix your firewall. I use firehol.
>
> Thanks Again Stan for all of your help.

That's so kind of you Wayne. I didn't do all that much, just helped you climb
over that one little hill that was standing in your way. I'm so glad you got it
working!

--
Stan

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 PM
"Wayne

Stan Hoeppner wrote:

Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> put forth on 1/22/2010 12:15 PM:

Note: If not able to connect to the internet, disable your firewall. If
you can then connect, fix your firewall. I use firehol.

Thanks Again Stan for all of your help.

That's so kind of you Wayne. I didn't do all that much, just helped you climb
over that one little hill that was standing in your way. I'm so glad you got it
working!

Just giving credit where credit is due Stan.

Did not think about putting this on the wiki. Google, and others,
picked up that thread within a day or so. That's why I keep reminding
new users to Google before asking on the list. The answers for more &
more problems are out there for those that look. Or in my case, find
someone who could ask the right questions. :-)

Verizon was glad I posted it though.

Cheers all!

Wayne