Old 01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Liviu Andronic

Default dealing with grub2?

Dear all
Could you help to either completely get rid of grub2 or properly
configuring it (to recognise the other two OSs, Windows and Ubuntu)?

For the first part, I've uninstalled grub-pc and reinstalled
grub-legacy, I've run update grub and checked /boo/grub/menu.lst (and
it contains Windows and Ubuntu entries). However, on reboot I only see
the Debian entries. I also installed os-prober, but it doesn't seem to
affect behaviour of update grub.

Before uninstalling grub-pc, I updated menu.lst and ran update grub,
to no avail.

What else should I try? Thank you
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm

Old 01-22-2010, 02:47 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Dear all
> Could you help to either completely get rid of grub2 or properly
> configuring it (to recognise the other two OSs, Windows and Ubuntu)?
>
> For the first part, I've uninstalled grub-pc and reinstalled
> grub-legacy, I've run update grub and checked /boo/grub/menu.lst (and
> it contains Windows and Ubuntu entries). However, on reboot I only see
> the Debian entries. I also installed os-prober, but it doesn't seem to
> affect behaviour of update grub.
>
> Before uninstalling grub-pc, I updated menu.lst and ran update grub,
> to no avail.
>
> What else should I try? Thank you
> Liviu

Hi,

if you want to get rid of grub-pc (aka "grub2") you have to reinstall
grub-"legacy" in the mbr (or elsewhere, depends on your setup) with
"grub-install".

If you want to give grub2 a chance, and you should, you can install the
package "os-prober", which only helps with grub2 and does nothing with
grub-legacy.
Also with grub2 you have to look for /boot/grub/grub.cfg and not
"menu.lst". If os-prober fails to find the other OS, you can add an
entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then run "update-grub". Don't edit
grub.cfg because it's overwritten every time grub is updated or a kernel
is installed/updated.

Hope it helps.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Liviu Andronic

On 1/22/10, tv.debian@googlemail.com <tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hope it helps.

It does, thanks. I went back to grub-pc, and with os-prober installed
it seemed to have recognised both Win and Ubuntu. At least grub.cfg
seems to have the relevant entries. Fingers crossed on reboot.

Best
Liviu