Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Andrew Henry

Default detecting hdd on usb cable

I have connected a laptop hdd to another laptop using a usb to ata
converter cable. The laptop has an sata drive and the internal drive i
have hanging off the usb cable is ata, and "fdisk -l" does not recognise
the device at all, but WinXP does see it OK when I boot into Windows.

Does the USB to ATA converter cable need a kernel driver or is there
perhaps an issue with seeing ATA drives when the inbuilt is SATA?

--andrew

--
GnuPG Key ID: ECB18ABA
Fingerprint: FDF3 91FC F5BC 1164 E217 315E 337E 219B ECB1 8ABA

Old 01-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Ron Johnson

I have connected a laptop hdd to another laptop using a usb to ata
converter cable. The laptop has an sata drive and the internal drive i
have hanging off the usb cable is ata, and "fdisk -l" does not recognise
the device at all, but WinXP does see it OK when I boot into Windows.

Does the USB to ATA converter cable need a kernel driver or is there
perhaps an issue with seeing ATA drives when the inbuilt is SATA?

ATA converter cable? Where does the power come from?

I've only heard of HDDs in external USB enclosures.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown

Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Scott Gifford

Andrew Henry <adhenry@bredband.net> writes:

> I have connected a laptop hdd to another laptop using a usb to ata
> converter cable. The laptop has an sata drive and the internal drive i
> have hanging off the usb cable is ata, and "fdisk -l" does not recognise
> the device at all, but WinXP does see it OK when I boot into Windows.

Look in the logs when you plug it in and run lsusb to look for clues.

> Does the USB to ATA converter cable need a kernel driver or is there
> perhaps an issue with seeing ATA drives when the inbuilt is SATA?

I would expect it to present the drive as a USB Storage device, in
which case you would only need the USB storage driver (and the USB
drivers it uses). But the manufacturer could have done anything with
the device, so anything is possible.

Sometimes I have had to hack around a bit because the USB drivers
don't recognize the particular vendor ID or device ID. If that's the
case, you could look at hacking the USB storage driver to add in your
device.

Hope this helps,

----Scott.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Andrew Henry

Ron Johnson wrote:

> ATA converter cable? Where does the power come from?
>
> I've only heard of HDDs in external USB enclosures.

The fact that it works on WinXP should've given you a clue It has a
seperate power cable that plugs straight into the wall outlet.

--andrew

Old 01-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/08/08 12:37, Andrew Henry wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

ATA converter cable? Where does the power come from?

I've only heard of HDDs in external USB enclosures.

The fact that it works on WinXP should've given you a clue

Not really, since I'm not clued in to each and every USB adapter.

It has a
seperate power cable that plugs straight into the wall outlet.

And the HDD circuitry lays exposed to the world?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Andrew Henry

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/08/08 12:37, Andrew Henry wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> ATA converter cable? Where does the power come from?
>>>
>>> I've only heard of HDDs in external USB enclosures.
>>>

>> The fact that it works on WinXP should've given you a clue
>
> Not really, since I'm not clued in to each and every USB adapter.
What I meant to say was that the fact that it works at all under windows
should have indicated that power *is* being supplied *somehow*. That
you didn't know exactly how it was supplied doesn't really matter. It
has a standard USB connector on one end and a big chunky dual ATA plus
SATA converter at the other end. Power supplied by separate cable.

>> It has a
>> seperate power cable that plugs straight into the wall outlet.
>
> And the HDD circuitry lays exposed to the world?

Yes it is. This cable is not sold as or intended as an "external hard
drive" solution. It is a cable for the simply reason of being able to
temporarily attach a hard drive to another system without opening the
working system.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson wrote:

ATA converter cable? Where does the power come from?

I've only heard of HDDs in external USB enclosures.

The fact that it works on WinXP should've given you a clue

Not really, since I'm not clued in to each and every USB adapter.

What I meant to say was that the fact that it works at all under windows
should have indicated that power *is* being supplied *somehow*. That
you didn't know exactly how it was supplied doesn't really matter. It
has a standard USB connector on one end and a big chunky dual ATA plus
SATA converter at the other end. Power supplied by separate cable.

Call me curious.

It has a
seperate power cable that plugs straight into the wall outlet.

And the HDD circuitry lays exposed to the world?

Yes it is. This cable is not sold as or intended as an "external hard
drive" solution. It is a cable for the simply reason of being able to
temporarily attach a hard drive to another system without opening the
working system.

Very interesting. And useful for hardware technicians.

What happens when you run "# tail -f /var/log/syslog" and then plug
in the power cable?