Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Ed Jabbour

Default /etc/resolv.conf and resolvconf

Sometime ago, I switched to OpenDNS using the resolvconf program. I now want
to switch back to the default DNS provided by the gateway - 192.168.1.254,
which, I think, passes over to ATT's server. I'd use resolvconf, but I
forgot how and the man page isn't much help to me. So, I purged resolvconf;
now the only instance of resolvconf is the deb file in apt archives
and /etc/resolv.conf is no longer a symlink. I then manually
changed /etc/resolv.conf. However, upon a dhcp request resolv.conf reverts
to OpenDNS. I tried entering "prepend domain-name-servers 192.168.1.254"
in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf - but no relief. What's overwriting resolv.conf,
and how do I stop it?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Frank McCormick

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:05:53 -0500
Ed Jabbour <ejbr@att.net> wrote:

> Sometime ago, I switched to OpenDNS using the resolvconf program.
> I now want to switch back to the default DNS provided by the
> gateway - 192.168.1.254, which, I think, passes over to ATT's
> server. I'd use resolvconf, but I forgot how and the man page
> isn't much help to me. So, I purged resolvconf; now the only
> instance of resolvconf is the deb file in apt archives
> and /etc/resolv.conf is no longer a symlink. I then manually
> changed /etc/resolv.conf. However, upon a dhcp request resolv.conf
> reverts to OpenDNS. I tried entering "prepend domain-name-servers
> 192.168.1.254" in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf - but no relief. What's
> overwriting resolv.conf, and how do I stop it?

How are you connected to the internet? Through a router?

--
Frank

Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Ed Jabbour

On Thursday 21 January 2010 06:44:14 pm Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:05:53 -0500
>
> Ed Jabbour <ejbr@att.net> wrote:
> > Sometime ago, I switched to OpenDNS using the resolvconf program.
> > I now want to switch back to the default DNS provided by the
> > gateway - 192.168.1.254, which, I think, passes over to ATT's
> > server. I'd use resolvconf, but I forgot how and the man page
> > isn't much help to me. So, I purged resolvconf; now the only
> > instance of resolvconf is the deb file in apt archives
> > and /etc/resolv.conf is no longer a symlink. I then manually
> > changed /etc/resolv.conf. However, upon a dhcp request resolv.conf
> > reverts to OpenDNS. I tried entering "prepend domain-name-servers
> > 192.168.1.254" in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf - but no relief. What's
> > overwriting resolv.conf, and how do I stop it?
>
> How are you connected to the internet? Through a router?

Yes. ATT calls it a "residential gateway". It's a dsl modem and router in
one package.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Tom H

> Sometime ago, I switched to OpenDNS using the resolvconf program. *I now want
> to switch back to the default DNS provided by the gateway - 192.168.1.254,
> which, I think, passes over to ATT's server.*I'd use resolvconf, but I
> forgot how and the man page isn't much help to me.*So, I purged resolvconf;
> now the only instance of resolvconf *is the deb file in apt archives
> and /etc/resolv.conf is no longer a symlink. * I then manually
> changed /etc/resolv.conf. *However, upon a dhcp request resolv.conf reverts
> to OpenDNS. *I tried *entering "prepend domain-name-servers 192.168.1.254"
> in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf - but no relief. *What's overwriting resolv.conf,
> and how do I stop it?

If you are using NetworkManager, you have to set your DNS server in the NM GUI.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:45 AM
Frank McCormick

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:04:30 -0500
Ed Jabbour <ejbr@att.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 21 January 2010 06:44:14 pm Frank McCormick wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:05:53 -0500
> >
> > Ed Jabbour <ejbr@att.net> wrote:
> > > Sometime ago, I switched to OpenDNS using the resolvconf
> > > program. I now want to switch back to the default DNS provided
> > > by the gateway - 192.168.1.254, which, I think, passes over to
> > > ATT's server. I'd use resolvconf, but I forgot how and the man
> > > page isn't much help to me. So, I purged resolvconf; now the
> > > only instance of resolvconf is the deb file in apt archives
> > > and /etc/resolv.conf is no longer a symlink. I then manually
> > > changed /etc/resolv.conf. However, upon a dhcp request
> > > resolv.conf reverts to OpenDNS. I tried entering "prepend
> > > domain-name-servers 192.168.1.254" in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
> > > - but no relief. What's overwriting resolv.conf, and how do I
> > > stop it?
> >
> > How are you connected to the internet? Through a router?
>

> Yes. ATT calls it a "residential gateway". It's a dsl modem and
> router in one package.

I have a seperate router and cable modem but when I want to switch
DNS I have to set up the new one in the router. I am not sure about DSL
but my resolve.conf points to the router (192.168.1.1). The router then
requests DNS services according to what's been set-up in it.

--
Frank

Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Ed Jabbour

On Thursday 21 January 2010 08:44:38 pm Tom H wrote:
> > Sometime ago, I switched to OpenDNS using the resolvconf program. *I now
> > want to switch back to the default DNS provided by the gateway -
> > 192.168.1.254, which, I think, passes over to ATT's server.*I'd use
> > resolvconf, but I forgot how and the man page isn't much help to me.*So,
> > I purged resolvconf; now the only instance of resolvconf *is the deb file
> > in apt archives and /etc/resolv.conf is no longer a symlink. * I then
> > manually
> > changed /etc/resolv.conf. *However, upon a dhcp request resolv.conf
> > reverts to OpenDNS. *I tried *entering "prepend domain-name-servers
> > 192.168.1.254" in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf - but no relief. *What's
> > overwriting resolv.conf, and how do I stop it?
>
> If you are using NetworkManager, you have to set your DNS server in the NM
> GUI.

I use wicd, and the DNS is set correctly.

Frank McCormick wrote:
>> Yes. ATT calls it a "residential gateway". It's a dsl modem and
>> router in one package.

> I have a seperate router and cable modem but when I want to switch
> DNS I have to set up the new one in the router. I am not sure about DSL
> but my resolve.conf points to the router (192.168.1.1). The router then
> requests DNS services according to what's been set-up in it.

The DNS server, i.e. the .254, is hard-wired into the router. It can't be
changed. That's why I have to set it up on the computer.