Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Patricio Rojo

Default Chroot+ldap problem

Hi, I have this bizarre problem and I would really appreciate if someone
can point me in the right direction to solve it.

I have a set of two amd64 machines with Debian Lenny. Machine 2 reads
all the users' information from the Machine 1 through LDAP. Also, in
Machine 2 I set up a dchroot environment for 32 bits compatibility (
following http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/426).

In addition to the above instructions, on this Machine 2, I set up
/etc/libnss*, /etc/ldap/*, and /etc/nsswitch.conf both for the amd64 and
for the i386 environments. I have no problems if I'm in the native amd64
mode. However, once I enter the i386 dchroot, some strange things happen:

1) For users from uid=1000 to uid=1031, I get an error if running
'whoami' (Cannot find name for user ID XXXX) and if I run 'id' , I get
all the correct group numbers but no translation to group names in
parenthesis as it should be. 'ls -l' also only lists group numbers but
no names.
2) for user 1032 I cannot even change into the dchroot, I get the error
"E: Group '1,031' not found"

I'll be happy to send the relevant contents of the configuration files
that are requested.

Thank you very much!

Patricio

. . /. Patricio Rojo
. * /`' . Departamento de Astronomia
. / ./ .. Universidad de Chile
../ .' . Casilla 36-D
../ / ../ Santiago, Chile
./ ./ ./ +56 2 977 1136
./ ./ . pato@das.uchile.cl

Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Alex Samad

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 06:30:29PM -0300, Patricio Rojo wrote:
> Hi, I have this bizarre problem and I would really appreciate if
> someone can point me in the right direction to solve it.
>
> I have a set of two amd64 machines with Debian Lenny. Machine 2
> reads all the users' information from the Machine 1 through LDAP.
> Also, in Machine 2 I set up a dchroot environment for 32 bits
> compatibility ( following
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/426).
>
> In addition to the above instructions, on this Machine 2, I set up
> /etc/libnss*, /etc/ldap/*, and /etc/nsswitch.conf both for the amd64
> and for the i386 environments. I have no problems if I'm in the
> native amd64 mode. However, once I enter the i386 dchroot, some
> strange things happen:
>
> 1) For users from uid=1000 to uid=1031, I get an error if running
> 'whoami' (Cannot find name for user ID XXXX) and if I run 'id' , I
> get all the correct group numbers but no translation to group names
> in parenthesis as it should be. 'ls -l' also only lists group
> numbers but no names.
> 2) for user 1032 I cannot even change into the dchroot, I get the
> error "E: Group '1,031' not found"

what happens when you run a getent passwd or getent groups

how are you talking to the ldap server via ldapi:// or ldap://

--
"Any time we've got any kind of inkling that somebody is thinking about doing something to an American and something to our homeland, you've just got to know we're moving on it, to protect the United Nations Constitution, and at the same time, we're protecting you."

- George W. Bush
10/31/2002
Aberdeen, SD