Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Erik Sundin

Default Dual monitor configuration with radeon driver (radeon 9800 (pro))

I'm trying to configure two monitors to work with a radeon 9800 (pro) card
using the radeon driver (mostly because fglrx no longer supports this
card...)
Starting up kdm or gdm with no xorg.conf leaves the screen connected to
DVI-0 blank and it remains so after login.
Using grandr doesn't do anything, I get this error:
"""
The program 'grandr' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
(Details: serial 46 error_code 8 request_code 149 minor_code 21)
"""
When trying to change layout or anything.
xrandr reports the following:
"""
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1366 x 1366
VGA-0 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
410mm x 230mm
1366x768 59.8 +
1280x720 75.0 60.0
1152x720 60.0
1024x768 75.0* 60.0
1024x576 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 75.0 60.3
640x480 75.0 59.9
720x400 70.1
DVI-0 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
338mm x 270mm
1280x1024 60.0 + 75.0 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 75.0* 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 75.0 60.3
640x480 75.0 59.9
720x400 70.1
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
"""
The monitor at VGA-0 is supposed to be run at 1366x768 so i use "xrandr
--output VGA-0 --mode "1366x768"" to make it so;
Imagine my surprise when setting this resolution puts a cloned image
on the DVI-0 output!
so I figure "this might just work" and try "xrandr --output VGA-0
--pos 0x0 --output DVI-0 --right-of VGA-0"
and of course I get:
"""
xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1366x1366 (desired size 2390x768)
"""
I'm not getting why the screen is limited to 1366x1366 but I'm certain
there is a good reason and I'm definately not getting how I should
proceed with this...

Is there some way to change the "maximum screen size"? or maybe add
another screen? (I never did get the monitor-screen-desktop-display
thingy in Xorg right, sorry)
that is: Screen 0 on VGA-0 and Screen 1 on DVI-0.
pherhaps I should read man pages...

I've also tried with some xorg.conf files found on different sites,
these all lead to X not starting at all. if there is interest I could
provide these and the logs they generated...

//Erik Sundin

Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Bob Weber

You need this in xorg.conf

Section "Screen"

******* Identifier***** "Default Screen"

******* Monitor******** "Configured Monitor"

******* SubSection "Display"

*********** Virtual 3980 900

******* endSubSection

EndSection

The virtual line should have 2390 768 from the output of your run of
xrandr.* That's assuming you want the displays side by side.* You
could use larger number like 2560 1024 and see if you can get both
monitors to 1280x1024 (2560=2*1280).* I use 2 identical monitors and
I'll never go back. * X apparently reserves memory for the virtual
screen so use the smallest numbers that allow both your screens to
fit. * I have used two large number like 3980 3980 just to play.*
You can then use grandr (gui randr) to play with any combination of
locations... up down or left right.

...Bob

--

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content

by MailScanner4.66/SA 3.2.3/Bingo, and is believed to be clean.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Erik Sundin

2010/1/22, Bob Weber <bob@skyeweb.com>:
> [...]
>> """
>> I'm not getting why the screen is limited to 1366x1366 but I'm certain
>> there is a good reason and I'm definately not getting how I should
>> proceed with this...
>>
>> Is there some way to change the "maximum screen size"? or maybe add
>> another screen? (I never did get the monitor-screen-desktop-display
>> thingy in Xorg right, sorry)
>> that is: Screen 0 on VGA-0 and Screen 1 on DVI-0.
>> pherhaps I should read man pages...
>>
>> I've also tried with some xorg.conf files found on different sites,
>> these all lead to X not starting at all. if there is interest I could
>> provide these and the logs they generated...
>>
>> //Erik Sundin
>>

> --
> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content
> by MailScanner4.66/SA 3.2.3/Bingo, and is believed to be clean.

This works great! Grandr still wont work but xrandr does its job.
Thank you for your help!
--
//Erik Sundin