-   -   Using 1394 under 2.6.30 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/312710-using-1394-under-2-6-30-a.html)

Andrew Perrin 01-21-2010 12:07 PM

Using 1394 under 2.6.30

Greetings all-

I am running the stock 2.6.30-2-amd64 kernel, largely because I have been
unable to compile a working 2.6.30 kernel of my own. (My travails on that
account are documented here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2009/09/msg01936.html .)

Bottom line on compiling my own: In the past, up through 2.6.26, I was
able to do make menuconfig ; select my preferences; make-kpkg --clean ;
make-kpkg --revision XXXXX ; make-kpkg kernel-image ; make-kpkg
modules-image .

With 2.6.30 when I do this I *always* get:

kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

or

kernel panic: no init found. Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).

on boot.

That's been OK because the stock kernel works fine on my four machines
(office server, office desktop, laptop, and home desktop).

Now I have a new problem, though. I'd like to use the 1394 modules to copy
video from a camcorder. The 1394 modules are not included in the stock
kernel. So, dear debian-users, I ask you for advice on either of the
following directions:

1.) How can I fix my kernel compilation problem so I can include the 1394
modules in the kernel; OR, alternatively:
2.) How can I compile *modules* from source independently so I can insmod
them into the stock kernel?

Thanks for any advice-
Andy Perrin