FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Rodolfo Medina
 
Default Synchronize two computers

Hi to all Debian users.

I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine. What I
need now is:

1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;

2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that really
changed were copied, so to save useless time.

Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected two
machines together.

Thanks indeed for any help
Rodolfo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Leonardo Canducci
 
Default Synchronize two computers

unison (has a gtk frontend too)
--
Leonardo Canducci


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Joe
 
Default Synchronize two computers

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

Hi to all Debian users.

I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine. What I
need now is:

1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;

2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that really
changed were copied, so to save useless time.

Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected two
machines together.



Unison will indeed do it, but the GUI will expect to find the source and
destination as directories. If you are already running a Samba
file-sharing server on one of the machines, that is the simplest way.
From what you say, I doubt that you are.


If you are not, and don't want the complication of Samba or NFS, then
you will need to learn some of the complication of rsync, which is the
command-line program which is used by Unison. It is very versatile, but
you will need only the most basic functions, and you will need to
arrange a means of transfer between the machines. SSH is much simpler to
organise than Samba, and is the preferred means anyway, and you may find
one or other of the installations already has the SSH daemon running. If
not, it's easy to organise with Debian.


--
Joe


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Rob Owens
 
Default Synchronize two computers

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:54:13AM +0000, Joe wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Hi to all Debian users.
>>
>> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine. What I
>> need now is:
>>
>> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>>
>> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
>> directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that really
>> changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>>
>> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected two
>> machines together.
>>
>
> Unison will indeed do it, but the GUI will expect to find the source and
> destination as directories. If you are already running a Samba
> file-sharing server on one of the machines, that is the simplest way.
> From what you say, I doubt that you are.
>
> If you are not, and don't want the complication of Samba or NFS, then
> you will need to learn some of the complication of rsync, which is the
> command-line program which is used by Unison. It is very versatile, but
> you will need only the most basic functions, and you will need to
> arrange a means of transfer between the machines. SSH is much simpler to
> organise than Samba, and is the preferred means anyway, and you may find
> one or other of the installations already has the SSH daemon running. If
> not, it's easy to organise with Debian.
>
Don't forget rsync's --delete option, so that files that were deleted on
the source will also be deleted on the target drive. I imagine Unison
can do this too, but I've never used it. Anyway, make sure whatever
method you choose handles deleted files properly.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Rodolfo Medina
 
Default Synchronize two computers

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>>> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine.
>>> What I need now is:
>>>
>>> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>>>
>>> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
>>> directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that
>>> really changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>>>
>>> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected
>>> two machines together.


Thanks to all who replied!

It seems that Samba and rsync are the two best way to do what I want. I
regularly use rsync to do my daily backups, but:

1) how do I connect the two machines? Any special cable, and where to put it?

2) it seems to me that rsync processes *all* the files and not only the ones
that really have changed, which would take long with my 2G home dir. Maybe
some special option of rsync?

Thanks again
Rodolfo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Kousik Maiti
 
Default Synchronize two computers

You need cross connected cable to connect 2 pc via lan card .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

After connecting 2 pc via that cable you just put ip address of same class . Then you can communicate between 2 pcs



On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:


Rodolfo Medina wrote:



>>> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine.

>>> What I need now is:

>>>

>>> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;

>>>

>>> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home

>>> directory in the Acer and viceversa. *I wish that only the files that

>>> really changed were copied, so to save useless time.

>>>

>>> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? *I've never connected

>>> two machines together.





Thanks to all who replied!



It seems that Samba and rsync are the two best way to do what I want. *I

regularly use rsync to do my daily backups, but:



1) how do I connect the two machines? *Any special cable, and where to put it?



2) it seems to me that rsync processes *all* the files and not only the ones

* that really have changed, which would take long with my 2G home dir. *Maybe

* some special option of rsync?



Thanks again

Rodolfo





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org





--
Wishing you the very best of everything, always!!!
Kousik Maiti(কৌশিক মাইতি)
Registered Linux User #474025
Registered Ubuntu User # 28654
 
Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
 
Default Synchronize two computers

On Qui, 21 Jan 2010, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

2) it seems to me that rsync processes *all* the files and not only the ones
that really have changed, which would take long with my 2G home
dir. Maybe

some special option of rsync?


How are you calling rsync? That's exactly what it doesn't. It only
transfers files that have changed, and only the parts that have changed.


Naturally, it needs to look at each file to see if they are equal or
not, it cannot guess which files are changed. By default this is based
on the modification time (and possibly size, I'm not sure), which is
rather fast.



--
"Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!"
-- W. C. Fields

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Michal
 
Default Synchronize two computers

On 21/01/2010 11:50, Kousik Maiti wrote:
> You need cross connected cable to connect 2 pc via lan card .
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
>
> After connecting 2 pc via that cable you just put ip address of same
> class . Then you can communicate between 2 pcs
>

A lot of modern interfaces on routers, nics etc have auto-sensing so you
can plug a straight-through between them and it will automatically turn
it in to a cross-over on the interface


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Aioanei Rares
 
Default Synchronize two computers

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

Hi to all Debian users.

I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine. What I
need now is:

1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;

2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files that really
changed were copied, so to save useless time.

Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never connected two
machines together.

Thanks indeed for any help
Rodolfo




I'd keep it simple : ssh + rsync.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Sjoerd Hardeman
 
Default Synchronize two computers

Aioanei Rares schreef:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Hi to all Debian users.
>>
>> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work
fine. What I

>> need now is:
>>
>> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>>
>> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
>> directory in the Acer and viceversa. I wish that only the files
that really

>> changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>>
>> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues? I've never
connected two

>> machines together.
>>
Set up a small network. It might be an option to buy a router with a
dhcp server (should be possible for a few 10$'s). That saves some
configuration hassle. Else just buy a crosslink cable and set the
networks on both computers appropriately.

> I'd keep it simple : ssh + rsync.
Run:
rsync -auvz --delete ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc /dir/on/this/pc
to get the new stuff from the other pc to the one you're currently
working on. To update, just reverse:

rsync -auvz --delete /dir/on/this/pc ssh://remotepc/dir/on/other/pc

-auvz does:
-a => archive: saves permissions, users etc,
-u => update: only newer files are transmitted. without this option
older changes will be transmitted too, which might result in a loss of
current changes

-v => verbose: can also use -P, giving a progress indicator
-z => compress: faster over (slow) networks

Sjoerd
PS. Aioanei: sorry for the double mail. Forgot to click `reply-to-list'
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org