Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Roman Gelfand

Default HTTP Filter Proxy

Can somebody recommend HTTP filter proxy software or softwares?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Kun Niu

Is squid the right software for you?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Roman Gelfand

I was thinking along the lines of something that would filter hijacked
sites, control popups, content checking, etc..

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Glenn English

On Jan 20, 2010, at 8:13 PM, Kun Niu wrote:

> Roman Gelfand wrote:
>> Can somebody recommend HTTP filter proxy software or softwares?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Filter what? Privoxy does a reasonable job on ads. Squid has acls and a bunch of other stuff that you config yourself. And they can run in serial...

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com

Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 AM
Kun Niu

With squid you can filter hijacked sites. But I wonder if any server
side software can control popups. I think that they are blocked by
client side software.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-01-21, Glenn English <ghe@slsware.com> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2010, at 8:13 PM, Kun Niu wrote:
>
>> Roman Gelfand wrote:
>>> Can somebody recommend HTTP filter proxy software or softwares?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>
> Filter what? Privoxy does a reasonable job on ads. Squid has acls and
> a bunch of other stuff that you config yourself. And they can run in
> serial...

Seconded. Privoxy chained with squid make a good combination. There are
plenty of tutorials on the web to help you set it up.

Liam

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Gregory Seidman

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:15:07AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2010-01-21, Glenn English <ghe@slsware.com> wrote:
> >
> > Filter what? Privoxy does a reasonable job on ads. Squid has acls and
> > a bunch of other stuff that you config yourself. And they can run in
> > serial...
>
> Seconded. Privoxy chained with squid make a good combination. There are
> plenty of tutorials on the web to help you set it up.

Another vote for privoxy. You can configure it to block whatever you like
based on URL pattern or HTTP headers (e.g. Content-Type), not to mention
blocking just cookies, rewriting content (e.g. adding or removing
autocomplete="off" in form tags), etc. I think there is even a facility to
block images based on dimensions, though I haven't played with it.

Unless you need the caching, though, I don't see much value in adding squid
to the mix. I've been using privoxy alone for years with great success.
> Liam
--Greg

Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Jari Fredriksson

On 21.1.2010 7:07, Kun Niu wrote:
> With squid you can filter hijacked sites. But I wonder if any server
> side software can control popups. I think that they are blocked by
> client side software.

I use Proxomitron in Windows, and it kills pop ups. While it is really a
client side proxy, it can be used in a server too, and works like a server.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You attempt things that you do not even plan because of your extreme
stupidity.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:56 AM
ajm

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 07:32:27AM -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:15:07AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> > >
> > > Filter what? Privoxy does a reasonable job on ads. Squid has acls and
> > > a bunch of other stuff that you config yourself. And they can run in
> > > serial...
> >
> > Seconded. Privoxy chained with squid make a good combination. There are
> > plenty of tutorials on the web to help you set it up.
>
> Another vote for privoxy. You can configure it to block whatever you like
> based on URL pattern or HTTP headers (e.g. Content-Type), not to mention
> blocking just cookies, rewriting content (e.g. adding or removing
> autocomplete="off" in form tags), etc. I think there is even a facility to
> block images based on dimensions, though I haven't played with it.
>
> Unless you need the caching, though, I don't see much value in adding squid
> to the mix. I've been using privoxy alone for years with great success.
> > Liam
> --Greg

How about adding Dansguardian to the mix...

--
Alexander J.M.
Debian Squeeze