Old 01-20-2010, 11:25 AM
ludovico van

Default ddrescue-like tool at filesystem level

hi all,

i have a damaged HD with many bad blocks on it, and i'm trying to
recover its files.

the first try was using ddrescue, but (even with the --no-split
option) it took an entire day to only copy a couple of GiB...

since i can successfully mount the disk and browse its files, it would
be nice to only copy the files and dirs i need.
Using a regular cp -a gives of course I/O errors and aborts the copy process.

so, is there a tool like ddrescue, which ignores errors (and maybe
retries to read the bad blocks), but working at the filesystem level,
so i can copy only selected files?

thanks all

Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
T o n g

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:25:07 +0100, ludovico van wrote:

> so, is there a tool like ddrescue, which ignores errors (and maybe
> retries to read the bad blocks), but working at the filesystem level, so
> i can copy only selected files?

I think the problem is next step -- if such program does exist, and you
salvaged several hundred/thousand files, but about half are broken. What
would you do next?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
ludovico van

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 5:35 PM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:25:07 +0100, ludovico van wrote:
>
>> so, is there a tool like ddrescue, which ignores errors (and maybe
>> retries to read the bad blocks), but working at the filesystem level, so
>> i can copy only selected files?
>
> I think the problem is next step -- if such program does exist, and you
> salvaged several hundred/thousand files, but about half are broken. What
> would you do next?

well, i start enjoying the good half of my files... ;-)

i mean, if ddrescue goes on at that speed, it will take at least 30
days to complete...

and (if i'm not wrong) i'm not guaranteed that ddrescue will get all
files. I'll get an image with zeroed holes in it corresponding to the
bad blocks that ddrescue couldn't read. Right?

thanks for your answer

Old 01-23-2010, 05:20 PM
T o n g

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:14:08 +0100, ludovico van wrote:

>>> so, is there a tool like ddrescue, which ignores errors (and maybe
>>> retries to read the bad blocks), but working at the filesystem level,
>>> so i can copy only selected files?
>>
>> I think the problem is next step -- if such program does exist, and you
>> salvaged several hundred/thousand files, but about half are broken.
>> What would you do next?
>
> well, i start enjoying the good half of my files... ;-)

Ok, then check out dar_cp from the dar package.

dar_cp is similar to the standard 'cp' command, except it
does not stop copying when an I/O error is met. Instead,
it skips a bit further and continues to copy the rest of
the file, as much as possible.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 AM
ludovico van

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 7:20 PM, T o n g wrote:

> Ok, then check out dar_cp from the dar package.

many thanks for that! it's exactly what i was looking for

in the meantime, ddrescue is still running: day 6, processed 25 GB out
of 250, rescued 17GB...

bye