Old 01-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Rémi Moyen

Default Kernel 2.6.30 blocks on udev initialisation

Hi,

Until recently, I was still on a (quite old) 2.6.26 kernel (stock one
from testing). I also had an old version of udev (< 150). A few days
ago, I made a full update of my system. It first tried to upgrade udev
to 150, but when doing this complained that my current kernel had the
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED option activated and that it was no more
supported and likely not to work at all. Although it was also trying
to install the new kernel at the same time (in which I believe this
option is no more activated), I guess since I was not the current
active kernel, this caused the error.

So I first installed the new kernel (2.6.30), then wanted to reboot on
this kernel (so still with the old udev) in order to complete the udev
installation. When rebooting, the new kernel loads, one of the very
first thing it says is "udev: waiting for /dev to be fully populated",
but then nothing happens. After 1 min (and every minute after), I get
a message about the CPU being stuck since 60 secs, but even after 4-5
minutes, nothing more happens.

After rebooting on the old kernel (2.6.26), I installed the 2.6.32
kernel from unstable. This one worked fine with the old udev. I
finished the update of udev (150) under this kernel, and rebooted
again: the 2.6.32 kernel works fine, the 2.6.30 has still exactly the
same problem. The 2.6.26 kernel, although still with the non-supported
kernel config option on, also works correctly. On all working kernels,
I get a bunch of warning about deprecated udev options that have to be
changed in various files, but apart from this, I don't see any
problems and all my hardware is working fine.

Has anyone an idea as to what happens with the 2.6.30 kernel? I didn't
find anything in the bug reports nor on the web about this.

Thanks!
--
Rémi Moyen

Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Mart Frauenlob

On 20.01.2010 10:39, Rémi Moyen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Until recently, I was still on a (quite old) 2.6.26 kernel (stock one
> from testing). I also had an old version of udev (< 150). A few days
> ago, I made a full update of my system. It first tried to upgrade udev
> to 150, but when doing this complained that my current kernel had the
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED option activated and that it was no more
> supported and likely not to work at all. Although it was also trying
> to install the new kernel at the same time (in which I believe this
> option is no more activated), I guess since I was not the current
> active kernel, this caused the error.
>
> So I first installed the new kernel (2.6.30), then wanted to reboot on
> this kernel (so still with the old udev) in order to complete the udev
> installation. When rebooting, the new kernel loads, one of the very
> first thing it says is "udev: waiting for /dev to be fully populated",
> but then nothing happens. After 1 min (and every minute after), I get
> a message about the CPU being stuck since 60 secs, but even after 4-5
> minutes, nothing more happens.
>
> After rebooting on the old kernel (2.6.26), I installed the 2.6.32
> kernel from unstable. This one worked fine with the old udev. I
> finished the update of udev (150) under this kernel, and rebooted
> again: the 2.6.32 kernel works fine, the 2.6.30 has still exactly the
> same problem. The 2.6.26 kernel, although still with the non-supported
> kernel config option on, also works correctly. On all working kernels,
> I get a bunch of warning about deprecated udev options that have to be
> changed in various files, but apart from this, I don't see any
> problems and all my hardware is working fine.
>
> Has anyone an idea as to what happens with the 2.6.30 kernel? I didn't
> find anything in the bug reports nor on the web about this.
>
> Thanks!

I think it was the 2.6.31 kernel version where the
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED bug was fixed. The kernel option had the sense
inverted.
I hope i remember correctly... didn't lookup the change-log again.

best regards

Mart

Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Rémi Moyen

2010/1/20 Mart Frauenlob <mart.frauenlob@chello.at>:

>> So I first installed the new kernel (2.6.30), then wanted to reboot on
>> this kernel (so still with the old udev) in order to complete the udev
>> installation. When rebooting, the new kernel loads, one of the very
>> first thing it says is "udev: waiting for /dev to be fully populated",
>> but then nothing happens. After 1 min (and every minute after), I get
>> a message about the CPU being stuck since 60 secs, but even after 4-5
>> minutes, nothing more happens.

> I think it was the 2.6.31 kernel version where the
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED bug was fixed. The kernel option had the sense
> inverted.

Oh... But then why is the standard kernel in testing a 2.6.30
(linux-image-2.6-686 current version is 2.6.30+21)? And is there an
official 2.6.31 Debian package somewhere? I don't see one in testing
nor in unstable.

Btw, my first message wasn't very clear: I did found a bug report on
this (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=551798), but
apart from suggesting a hardware problem (and that the bug is supposed
to be fixed), it does not really helps me, especially since I only
have the problem with the 2.6.30 kernel, not 2.6.26 nor 2.6.32.
--
Rémi Moyen

Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Mart Frauenlob

On 20.01.2010 12:39, Rémi Moyen wrote:
> 2010/1/20 Mart Frauenlob <mart.frauenlob@chello.at>:
>
>>> So I first installed the new kernel (2.6.30), then wanted to reboot on
>>> this kernel (so still with the old udev) in order to complete the udev
>>> installation. When rebooting, the new kernel loads, one of the very
>>> first thing it says is "udev: waiting for /dev to be fully populated",
>>> but then nothing happens. After 1 min (and every minute after), I get
>>> a message about the CPU being stuck since 60 secs, but even after 4-5
>>> minutes, nothing more happens.
>
>> I think it was the 2.6.31 kernel version where the
>> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED bug was fixed. The kernel option had the sense
>> inverted.
>
> Oh... But then why is the standard kernel in testing a 2.6.30
> (linux-image-2.6-686 current version is 2.6.30+21)? And is there an
> official 2.6.31 Debian package somewhere? I don't see one in testing
> nor in unstable.
>
> Btw, my first message wasn't very clear: I did found a bug report on
> this (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=551798), but
> apart from suggesting a hardware problem (and that the bug is supposed
> to be fixed), it does not really helps me, especially since I only
> have the problem with the 2.6.30 kernel, not 2.6.26 nor 2.6.32.

sorry, I wasn't very clear either...
I was referring to the kernel.org change-log.
I don't know about the debian specific versions, it just happend i
remembered reading the vanilla kernel change-log.
But as I try to find it now, I can't... sorry, maybe I mixed up things