Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 AM
"giovanni_re"

Default Organize Debian mail lists page, please, thanks :)

Hi - thanks for your work on the debian mailing lists.

I include some notes here about several improvements to the debian
website, regarding mailing lists. They 1) communicate more quickly the
_most imortant_ information, & 2) enable people to find the relevant
information more quickly.

== 1) Proper intro text
On
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/
the introduction text should have a link changed: Keep the text the
same, but:

"Introduction

Debian GNU/Linux is developed through distributed development all around
the world. Therefore, e-mail is the preferred way to discuss various
items. Much of the conversation between Debian developers and users is
managed through several mailing lists."

That is all fine, but the link behind the last words should be to
http://lists.debian.org/
Not to "http://foldoc.org/mailing+list", as it is now.

== 2) Mail lists page should also list all the lists, grouped.

The page:
http://lists.debian.org/
has a great start - the grouping.

The important thing it is missing is a 2nd section, which would have
each group section, & a link to the main page of each list, within that
group.

Ex: for the "users" lists (& do this for each grouping), go to the
http://lists.debian.org/users.html
page, & extract all the list links, & put them on the lists.debian.org
page.

== 3) Better: put that info on all at the bottom of the main page about
lists:

Ie, put onto the page:

all the info i described in part 2 above for the page:
http://lists.debian.org/

That would make a smaller # of pages to click through to find the proper
list. Ie,
1st: Main debain page, with a link to:
2nd: The lists page, which has the categorized list of all mailing
lists.

That would be a great, efficient design, help people find lists more
quickly, & thus help people be more efficient.

==
Do you think you could get this done? Any idea the time frame? Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 05:05 AM
Arthur Machlas

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:37 PM, giovanni_re <john_re@fastmail.us> pontificated:

Hi - thanks for your work on the debian mailing lists. *

I include some notes here about several improvements to the debian

website, regarding mailing lists. *They 1) communicate more quickly the

_most imortant_ information, & 2) enable people to find the relevant

information more quickly.

<snip>

==

Do you think you could get this done? *Any idea the time frame? *Thanks

This reminds me of those letters from a nut books, by Ted L. Nancy.
Best,
Arthur

Old 01-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Mark

>On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Arthur Machlas <arthur.machlas@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:37 PM, giovanni_re <john_re@fastmail.us> pontificated:

>Hi - thanks for your work on the debian mailing lists. *

>I include some notes here about several improvements to the debian

>website, regarding mailing lists. *They 1) communicate more quickly the

>_most imortant_ information, & 2) enable people to find the relevant

>information more quickly.

><snip>>

>==

>Do you think you could get this done? *Any idea the time frame? *Thanks

>This reminds me of those letters from a nut books, by Ted L. Nancy.
>Best,
>Arthur

I needed a laugh tonight.* Thanks giovanni!

Mark

Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Freeman

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:37:01PM -0800, giovanni_re wrote:
> Hi - thanks for your work on the debian mailing lists.
>
> I include some notes here about several improvements to the debian
> website, regarding mailing lists. They 1) communicate more quickly the
> _most imortant_ information, & 2) enable people to find the relevant
> information more quickly.
>
> == 1) Proper intro text
> On
> http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/
> the introduction text should have a link changed: Keep the text the
> same, but:
>
> "Introduction
>
> Debian GNU/Linux is developed through distributed development all around
> the world. Therefore, e-mail is the preferred way to discuss various
> items. Much of the conversation between Debian developers and users is
> managed through several mailing lists."
>
> That is all fine, but the link behind the last words should be to
> http://lists.debian.org/
> Not to "http://foldoc.org/mailing+list", as it is now.
>

> == 2) Mail lists page should also list all the lists, grouped.
>
> The page:
> http://lists.debian.org/
> has a great start - the grouping.
>
> The important thing it is missing is a 2nd section, which would have
> each group section, & a link to the main page of each list, within that
> group.
>
> Ex: for the "users" lists (& do this for each grouping), go to the
> http://lists.debian.org/users.html
> page, & extract all the list links, & put them on the lists.debian.org
> page.
>
> == 3) Better: put that info on all at the bottom of the main page about
> lists:
>
> Ie, put onto the page:
>
> all the info i described in part 2 above for the page:
> http://lists.debian.org/
>
> That would make a smaller # of pages to click through to find the proper
> list. Ie,
> 1st: Main debain page, with a link to:
> 2nd: The lists page, which has the categorized list of all mailing
> lists.
>
> That would be a great, efficient design, help people find lists more
> quickly, & thus help people be more efficient.
>
> ==
> Do you think you could get this done? Any idea the time frame? Thanks

I can't cut it!

Thank you. I thought maybe I was missing something. (I'm never sure.)

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 23:37:01 giovanni_re wrote:
> I include some notes here about several improvements to the debian
> website, regarding mailing lists. They 1) communicate more quickly the
> _most imortant_ information, & 2) enable people to find the relevant
> information more quickly.

While there may be someone with the proper access to make these changes on the
debian-user list, that is far from guaranteed. I think debian-www would be
more appropriate for discussion, and once some sort of decision was made, a
bug against the proper pseudo-package would be appropriate for tracking
resolution.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 AM
"giovanni_re"

Thanks, Boyd I'd sent that to listarchives@debian.org, the address suggested for list related management correspondence, & cc'd the user list so people would be aware of this issue, as it affects the entire user community when looking for a list to join.

Thanks for the suggestion about the web team list I haven't gotten a response from listarchives@debian.org, so I might send it to the web team.