Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Mark

Default Intel 2100 wireless firmware (ipw2100-1.3.fw) for Lenny installation

Hello,

I am trying to install the firmware for an Intel ipw2100 wifi card on a Dell Latitude D800 laptop (the driver is supported in the Lenny kernel, just not the firmware).* According to this page http://wiki.debian.org/ipw2200 (note bold text by Steve McIntyre) the Debian installer should be able to read the tarball file during the installation; I tried last night but the installer needs the .fw file not the tar.gz file.* Every link I've tried, including this one http://packages.debian.org/lenny/firmware-ipw2x00 is either a tar.gz or .deb file.* I can't seem to find a download for .fw...any ideas or help out there?* I suppose I can install the firmware after getting Lenny installed by adding "contrib non-free" to /apt/sources.list, but since the installer prompts for "ipw2100-1.3.fw" file during installation, I'd like to get it installed at that time.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Mark

Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Marco Vaschetto

Mark ha scritto:

[...]

do you have try to unpack the tar ball? you download?

if you don't have any machine whit Linux you can use 7zip on windows

for unpack the package *.tar.gz if not finish the Lenny installation
giust "apt-get install firmware-ipw2x00" and load the appropiate modules.

good by

Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue,19.Jan.10, 11:00:33, Mark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install the firmware for an Intel ipw2100 wifi card on a Dell
> Latitude D800 laptop (the driver is supported in the Lenny kernel, just not
> the firmware). According to this page http://wiki.debian.org/ipw2200 (note
> bold text by Steve McIntyre) the Debian installer should be able to read the
> tarball file during the installation; I tried last night but the installer
> needs the .fw file not the tar.gz file. Every link I've tried, including
> this one http://packages.debian.org/lenny/firmware-ipw2x00 is either a
> tar.gz or .deb file. I can't seem to find a download for .fw...any ideas or
> help out there? I suppose I can install the firmware after getting Lenny
> installed by adding "contrib non-free" to /apt/sources.list, but since the
> installer prompts for "ipw2100-1.3.fw" file during installation, I'd like to
> get it installed at that time.

Last time I tried this it was enough to have the .deb on some media (I
used an USB stick).

Regards,
Andrei