Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Oscar Corte

Default Updating off-line computer

Hi all:

I recently arranged a Debian Lenny MySQL-Server at my job and is working amazingly fine; non-graphics, only command line and performed the installation at home while connected to Internet from CD 1.

*

The office kind of depends of this server full time and network settings have been tuned according to the internal company policy, so I’d like to avoid taking it home for updates thus having to reconfigure networking (not an expert).

*

There are no Internet connections of any kind and I’d like to keep the O.S. up to date. I also tried to install samba but the packages couldn’t off course be retrieved.

*

¿Could somebody please tell me what methods are available to keep the machine updated. (importing the updates from another internet PC os so)?

*

Is there a list of newer packages into machines connected to Internet where I can see them?

*

Thanks a los in advance for your help.

Regards

Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Javier Barroso

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Oscar Corte <oect_1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I recently arranged a Debian Lenny MySQL-Server at my job and is working
> amazingly fine; non-graphics, only command line and performed the
> installation at home while connected to Internet from CD 1.
>
> The office kind of depends of this server full time and network settings
> have been tuned according to the internal company policy, so I’d like to
> avoid taking it home for updates thus having to reconfigure networking (not
> an expert).
>
> There are no Internet connections of any kind and I’d like to keep the O.S.
> up to date. I also tried to install samba but the packages couldn’t off
> course be retrieved.
>
> ¿Could somebody please tell me what methods are available to keep the
> machine updated. (importing the updates from another internet PC os so)?
Take a look to apt-offline (or older apt-zip) package

Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue,19.Jan.10, 18:32:02, Oscar Corte wrote:

> There are no Internet connections of any kind and I’d like to keep the
> O.S. up to date. I also tried to install samba but the packages
> couldn’t off course be retrieved.

If this computer is not directly accessible from the internet keeping it
updated is not such a big concern. Since you also want to install new
packages on occasion it might be enough to have the full DVD set
available (either locally or somewhere in your internal network) and
just add the update CD at every point release.

> ¿Could somebody please tell me what methods are available to keep the
> machine updated. (importing the updates from another internet PC os
> so)?

If you have in the same network some Debian computers with internet
access you could use apt-proxy.

Regards,
Andrei