Old 01-19-2010, 02:33 PM
David Baron

Default Warning: "Illegal" hostnames no longer work

For ever, I was getting a bootup message that by hostname was illegal. After
that, everything, I mean everything, worked with that hostname 100%

As of the latest upgrades off Sid, the illegal hostname is no longer accepted
by the system and there is then no hostname and many things do not like that
at all.

Edit /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts and reboot.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:28 AM
"s. keeling"

David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il>:
> For ever, I was getting a bootup message that by hostname was illegal. After
> that, everything, I mean everything, worked with that hostname 100%
>
> As of the latest upgrades off Sid, the illegal hostname is no longer accepted
> by the system and there is then no hostname and many things do not like that
> at all.
>
> Edit /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts and reboot.

KDE has reportedly decided to honour an RFC's specifics. I suspect
you run KDE.

I can't find the url where I read about it. I don't use kde, btw.