FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 AM
Paul E Condon
 
Default question about sending mail and postfix - slightly OT question

On 20100118_133220, Adam Hardy wrote:
> This is possibly an exceptionally easy question to answer because I
> feel like all the documentation I've read about sending mail and
> postfix starts at step 2, and step 1 is just common knowledge that I
> somehow failed to pick up.
>
> I have a new server online with lenny that I want to configure to
> send all its mail for root to my email address, and that's all. I
> don't want it to receive any email or relay or anything else.
>
> I set this up a few years back with postfix and now trying to
> recreate this setup, I am running into the problem that the mail
> command isn't installed. It obviously doesn't come with postfix and
> there appears to be a huge choice of packages that I could choose
> from in the debian repositories, but isn't there a default? My guess
> is that my hosting service installed such a stripped-down version of
> lenny that I didn't get it.
>
> Any enlightenment gratefully received,
>
> Adam

Lenny netinstall puts exim4 on the computer as part of the base
system. Why are you trying to get postfix working? You should have
exim4 from your first boot of Lenny. Did you try exim4 and find it
wanting? Reason?

Configuring exim4 to send local mail to an external 'smarthost' is a
bit of a trick, especially if the smarthost demands password
authentication. And even that is explained in some detail in the exim4
package docs. Are you sure you *don't* have exim4 installed, but
unconfigured?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Adam Hardy
 
Default question about sending mail and postfix - slightly OT question

Paul E Condon on 19/01/10 06:14, wrote:

On 20100118_133220, Adam Hardy wrote:

This is possibly an exceptionally easy question to answer because I
feel like all the documentation I've read about sending mail and
postfix starts at step 2, and step 1 is just common knowledge that I
somehow failed to pick up.

I have a new server online with lenny that I want to configure to
send all its mail for root to my email address, and that's all. I
don't want it to receive any email or relay or anything else.

I set this up a few years back with postfix and now trying to
recreate this setup, I am running into the problem that the mail
command isn't installed. It obviously doesn't come with postfix and
there appears to be a huge choice of packages that I could choose
from in the debian repositories, but isn't there a default? My guess
is that my hosting service installed such a stripped-down version of
lenny that I didn't get it.

Any enlightenment gratefully received,

Adam


Lenny netinstall puts exim4 on the computer as part of the base
system. Why are you trying to get postfix working? You should have
exim4 from your first boot of Lenny. Did you try exim4 and find it
wanting? Reason?

Configuring exim4 to send local mail to an external 'smarthost' is a
bit of a trick, especially if the smarthost demands password
authentication. And even that is explained in some detail in the exim4
package docs. Are you sure you *don't* have exim4 installed, but
unconfigured?


I'm configuring a new vserver online with a hosting provider, and they installed
the bare minimum lenny with ssh, and that obviously didn't include exim. I have
no experience with exim, and although I had only very little experience with
postfix, I did have some before I started and now I've got several hours of
mucking around with postfix as investment in it.


I may have to move exim anyway if I can't sort postfix out, but it looks like
I'm making progress.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default question about sending mail and postfix - slightly OT question

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 04:54:57 Adam Hardy wrote:
> Paul E Condon on 19/01/10 06:14, wrote:
> > On 20100118_133220, Adam Hardy wrote:
> >> I have a new server online with lenny that I want to configure to
> >> send all its mail for root to my email address, and that's all. I
> >> don't want it to receive any email or relay or anything else.
> >>
> >> I am running into the problem that the mail
> >> command isn't installed. It obviously doesn't come with postfix and
> >> there appears to be a huge choice of packages that I could choose
> >> from in the debian repositories, but isn't there a default?

I don't think the end-user mail command is installed by default. A fairly
stripped-down Lenny would still include a sendmail work-alike, usually exim4-
daemon-light.

On my system, I am getting the mail command from the bsd-mailx package:
bss@rei:/etc/alternatives% ls -l $(which mail)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2009-02-15 17:41 /usr/bin/mail ->
/etc/alternatives/mail
bss@rei:/etc/alternatives% ls -l /etc/alternatives/mail
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2009-02-15 17:41 /etc/alternatives/mail ->
/usr/bin/bsd-mailx
bss@rei:/etc/alternatives% ls -l /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 91192 2008-04-27 12:20 /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
bss@rei:/etc/alternatives% dpkg -S /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
bsd-mailx: /usr/bin/bsd-mailx

The "mail" utility has been marked as "LEGACY" in the UNIX standards for over
a decade. The documentation of the legacy command indicates that
"Applications should migrate to the mailx utility". IMO, Users should
probably migrate to a better local mail agent, mutt is a start, but you should
look at the packages to provide the "mail-reader" virtual. Also, there's a
"mailx" package in Lenny, but it is also provided by 3 other packages. One of
those is bsd-mailx, but the others might be just as capable.

> > Lenny netinstall puts exim4 on the computer as part of the base
> > system. Why are you trying to get postfix working? You should have
> > exim4 from your first boot of Lenny. Did you try exim4 and find it
> > wanting?
>
> I'm configuring a new vserver online with a hosting provider, and they
> installed the bare minimum lenny with ssh, and that obviously didn't
> include exim.

Are you *sure*? It's hard to get a Debian installation going without some
package that provides the virtual "mail-transport-agent", since cron needs it
and cron is Priority: important in Debian. For most packages the default
"mail-transport-agent" is exim4-daemon-light.

> I have no experience with exim, and although I had only very
> little experience with postfix, I did have some before I started and now
> I've got several hours of mucking around with postfix as investment in it.

As both have similar security records and feature lists, you should probably
use postfix anyway. Experience and patience counts for a lot in mail server
configuration.

Postfix is usually only one command away from being installed: (aptitude
install postfix). Since postfix Conflicts with mail-transport-agent other
packages that provide that virtual (e.g. exim) would be uninstalled.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Adam Hardy
 
Default question about sending mail and postfix - slightly OT question

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on 19/01/10 17:53, wrote:

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 04:54:57 Adam Hardy wrote:

Paul E Condon on 19/01/10 06:14, wrote:

On 20100118_133220, Adam Hardy wrote:

I have a new server online with lenny that I want to configure to
send all its mail for root to my email address, and that's all. I
don't want it to receive any email or relay or anything else.

I am running into the problem that the mail
command isn't installed. It obviously doesn't come with postfix and
there appears to be a huge choice of packages that I could choose
from in the debian repositories, but isn't there a default?


I don't think the end-user mail command is installed by default. A fairly
stripped-down Lenny would still include a sendmail work-alike, usually exim4-

daemon-light.

On my system, I am getting the mail command from the bsd-mailx package:
bss@rei:/etc/alternatives% ls -l $(which mail)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2009-02-15 17:41 /usr/bin/mail ->
/etc/alternatives/mail

bss@rei:/etc/alternatives% ls -l /etc/alternatives/mail
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2009-02-15 17:41 /etc/alternatives/mail ->
/usr/bin/bsd-mailx

bss@rei:/etc/alternatives% ls -l /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 91192 2008-04-27 12:20 /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
bss@rei:/etc/alternatives% dpkg -S /usr/bin/bsd-mailx
bsd-mailx: /usr/bin/bsd-mailx

The "mail" utility has been marked as "LEGACY" in the UNIX standards for over
a decade. The documentation of the legacy command indicates that
"Applications should migrate to the mailx utility". IMO, Users should
probably migrate to a better local mail agent, mutt is a start, but you should
look at the packages to provide the "mail-reader" virtual. Also, there's a
"mailx" package in Lenny, but it is also provided by 3 other packages. One of
those is bsd-mailx, but the others might be just as capable.



In mailutils package, there are both mail and mailx.

Regards
Adam


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org