-   -   Help needed to find why mouse not working (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/311090-help-needed-find-why-mouse-not-working.html)

Alan Chandler 01-18-2010 05:39 PM

Help needed to find why mouse not working

I have just purchased a KeySonic ACK-540 RF wireless keyboard and
touchpad to work with my KDE4 based Debian Squeeze computer. This is
primarily because it is a mythtv box and I want to sit remotely to
control it.

The keyboard seems to work fine - its recognised by grub and works
without a problem. The mouse part is not working in KDE - but there is
definitely a mouse device present in the system (/dev/input/mice and
/dev/input/mouse0 and /dev/input/mouse1 are present).

I would like to initially prove that when I move my hand on the touchpad
it is sending information to the computer. How can I see that something
is being sent (which devices should be the mouse?)

Once I know that there is info being received at the computer, I then
need to find out how to get X to recognise it.

Can some of you here lead me through this process please.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Klistvud 01-18-2010 06:57 PM

Help needed to find why mouse not working

I would like to initially prove that when I move my hand on the
touchpad it is sending information to the computer. How can I see
that something is being sent (which devices should be the mouse?)

By running xev from a terminal in X you should get some response when
moving the mouse pointer across the xev window. That would be a start.

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Alan Chandler 01-19-2010 07:24 AM

Klistvud wrote:

I would like to initially prove that when I move my hand on the
touchpad it is sending information to the computer. How can I see
that something is being sent (which devices should be the mouse?)

By running xev from a terminal in X you should get some response when
moving the mouse pointer across the xev window. That would be a start.

It didn't produce anything. However, I have now tried it on a Windows
Machine, and nothing there either. My conclusion is that it is broken
and I am sending it back