Old 01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Martin McCormick

Default Finally Ending Quest for Working PCMCIA Serial Port Dell Enspiron

After some further study, it looks like the PCMCIA port
may actually register as two devices with only one available for
use. At least there is only one DB9 on the front of the adaptor.

From syslog:

Jan 18 06:11:41 delta kernel: [ 15.260818] 0000:03:00.0: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3400 (irq = 10) is a XScale
Jan 18 06:11:41 delta kernel: [ 15.261021] 0000:03:00.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0x3408 (irq = 10) is a XScale

Funny they use the same interrupt. Briefly, data from an
external box to the PCMCIA card are received with no problem. If
you send anything out the PCMCIA card to the remote system, it
never makes it and the sender blocks. Send just one character
from the remote box back to the PCMCIA card and suddenly, the
buffered data spew back to the remote host. Me thinks the
interrupt is being eaten somewhere.

This is a Dell Enspiron laptop with a built-in dialup
modem which is so weird that it doesn't even show up on the BIOS
setup page much less as a /dev/ttySx device. It looks like you
need to mostly disassemble the computer to get to the modem and
then I don't know if one can just unplug it so it may make more
sense to get one of those RS-232 USB dongles and forget about
the PCMCIA option.

Well, at least I learned a bit about udev.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer