Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Adam Hardy

Default question about sending mail and postfix

This is possibly an exceptionally easy question to answer because I feel like
all the documentation I've read about sending mail and postfix starts at step 2,
and step 1 is just common knowledge that I somehow failed to pick up.

I have a new server online with lenny that I want to configure to send all its
mail for root to my email address, and that's all. I don't want it to receive
any email or relay or anything else.

I set this up a few years back with postfix and now trying to recreate this
setup, I am running into the problem that the mail command isn't installed. It
obviously doesn't come with postfix and there appears to be a huge choice of
packages that I could choose from in the debian repositories, but isn't there a
default? My guess is that my hosting service installed such a stripped-down
version of lenny that I didn't get it.

Any enlightenment gratefully received,

Adam

Old 01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,18.Jan.10, 13:32:20, Adam Hardy wrote:

> I have a new server online with lenny that I want to configure to
> send all its mail for root to my email address, and that's all. I
> don't want it to receive any email or relay or anything else.

'man aliases' and don't forget to run newaliases after you changed
/etc/aliases.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
"James Wu"

Assuming you can install new packages, the mail command comes in the
package bsd-mailx. Otherwise, you can try using the Postfix sendmail
command. You'll probably have to read the man page as the flags are
different from mail.

James