FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Sven Joachim
 
Default Can't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wireless adapater

On 2010-01-18 11:34 +0100, Xianwen Chen wrote:

> My newly installed Lenny doesn't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wirelss
> adapater, even after running "modprobe rtl8187". Am I missing some
> settings in the /etc?

Maybe the chipset is not supported by the Lenny kernel and you have to
install a newer kernel. What does 'lsusb' print?

See also http://wiki.debian.org/rtl818x.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Xianwen Chen
 
Default Can't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wireless adapater

I think it's supported. It's a Realtek 8187B adapter. This is what lsusb shows:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0204:6025 Chipsbank Microelectronics Co., Ltd
CBM2080 Flash drive controller
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04fc:0013 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd ViewMate
Desktop Mouse CC2201
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B
Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub


Best regards,

Wen

--
Xianwen Chen
Sent from Tromso, 19, Norway


On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Xianwen Chen <xianwen.chen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> My newly installed Lenny doesn't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wirelss
> adapater, even after running "modprobe rtl8187". Am I missing some
> settings in the /etc?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wen
>
> --
> Xianwen Chen
>
On 2010-01-18 11:34 +0100, Xianwen Chen wrote:

> My newly installed Lenny doesn't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wirelss
> adapater, even after running "modprobe rtl8187". Am I missing some
> settings in the /etc?

Maybe the chipset is not supported by the Lenny kernel and you have to
install a newer kernel. What does 'lsusb' print?

See also http://wiki.debian.org/rtl818x.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2010, 03:50 PM
"Wayne
 
Default Can't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wireless adapater

Xianwen Chen wrote:

I think it's supported. It's a Realtek 8187B adapter. This is what lsusb shows:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0204:6025 Chipsbank Microelectronics Co., Ltd
CBM2080 Flash drive controller
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04fc:0013 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd ViewMate
Desktop Mouse CC2201
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B
Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub



Please explain. The subject says that Lenny doesn't recognize Realtek
8187 USB wirelss but the the list above does show it is recognized.


So what is it not doing?

Wayne


Best regards,

Wen

--
Xianwen Chen
Sent from Tromso, 19, Norway


On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Xianwen Chen <xianwen.chen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi friends,

My newly installed Lenny doesn't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wirelss
adapater, even after running "modprobe rtl8187". Am I missing some
settings in the /etc?

Best regards,

Wen

--
Xianwen Chen


On 2010-01-18 11:34 +0100, Xianwen Chen wrote:


My newly installed Lenny doesn't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wirelss
adapater, even after running "modprobe rtl8187". Am I missing some
settings in the /etc?


Maybe the chipset is not supported by the Lenny kernel and you have to
install a newer kernel. What does 'lsusb' print?

See also http://wiki.debian.org/rtl818x.

Sven





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2010, 04:19 PM
"Wayne
 
Default Can't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wireless adapater

Putting this back on the list where is belongs.

Xianwen Chen wrote:

It just doesn't recognize. Because when I'm running ifconfig -a, wlan0
dosen't show up.



So to figure out just what is happening and why, you will have to tell
us more then you have so far. What card is this anyway?


1. What have you done so far to troubleshoot this? What does Google
have to say about this Card working on Linux?


2. What does the /etc/network/interfaces file look like.

3. What is the output of 'lsmod |grep Realtek'

You can not expect us to help you unless you give us more information.

Note: All replies should go this the list not to those you expect to
help you.


Wayne


On 1/18/10, Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

Xianwen Chen wrote:

I think it's supported. It's a Realtek 8187B adapter. This is what lsusb

shows:

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0204:6025 Chipsbank Microelectronics Co., Ltd
CBM2080 Flash drive controller
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04fc:0013 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd ViewMate
Desktop Mouse CC2201
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8189 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B
Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub



Please explain. The subject says that Lenny doesn't recognize Realtek 8187
USB wirelss but the the list above does show it is recognized.

So what is it not doing?

Wayne



Best regards,

Wen

--
Xianwen Chen
Sent from Tromso, 19, Norway


On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Xianwen Chen <xianwen.chen@gmail.com>

wrote:

Hi friends,

My newly installed Lenny doesn't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wirelss
adapater, even after running "modprobe rtl8187". Am I missing some
settings in the /etc?

Best regards,

Wen

--
Xianwen Chen



On 2010-01-18 11:34 +0100, Xianwen Chen wrote:



My newly installed Lenny doesn't recognize Realtek 8187 USB wirelss
adapater, even after running "modprobe rtl8187". Am I missing some
settings in the /etc?


Maybe the chipset is not supported by the Lenny kernel and you have to
install a newer kernel. What does 'lsusb' print?

See also http://wiki.debian.org/rtl818x.

Sven





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to
debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject of
"unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org








--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org