Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Bernard

Default deactivating network connexion using NetworkManager

Hi to Everyone,

A few weeks ago, I have decided that, whenever my PC was to stay on for
awhile without being used, I would disconnect the internet connexion,
using the Gnome "Network Manager" for this purpose (right click then
uncheck "activate the network"). Today, I wonder how efficient that is,
in regard to security risks, since it seems likely that the Internet
link must still be up, if it was not the case, how to explain that the
re-activating process is so quick ?

Maybe it is better to physically disconnect the Ethernet wire at the
back on the main board... which is not always an easy operation,
depending on one's setup.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:23:07 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> Hi to Everyone,
>
> A few weeks ago, I have decided that, whenever my PC was to stay on for
> awhile without being used, I would disconnect the internet connexion,
> using the Gnome "Network Manager" for this purpose (right click then
> uncheck "activate the network"). Today, I wonder how efficient that is,
> in regard to security risks, since it seems likely that the Internet
> link must still be up, if it was not the case, how to explain that the
> re-activating process is so quick ?

Maybe because the interface is configured as "hotplug" and as soon as the
"link" is detected the card gets up and running :-?

"cat /etc/network/interfaces" will tell.

> Maybe it is better to physically disconnect the Ethernet wire at the
> back on the main board... which is not always an easy operation,
> depending on one's setup.

I would use the old method (ifup/ifdown) to manage the network interface
(I find it most reliable than NM), at least for wired devices. So in the
event you want to shutdown a specific interface, you can just run "ifdown
eth0".

While using NM, to shutdown the entire newtork service you can issue the
command "/etc/init.d/network-manager stop" but that seems a bit drastic
measure. I wonder if it could be possible to shutdown just one network
adapter instead the whole service :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón