Old 01-18-2010, 05:11 AM
Rick Thomas

Default Sid on PowerPC has broken xserver-xorg-core

Does anybody know what's causing this?

Is there anything I can do? It's been a couple of weeks like this.

I understand "Normal Sid churn": Something like this happened on i386
a while ago and it took over a month to resolve there (I don't know
what happened, but one day it just went away...) If this is the same
problem as the i386 one, you'd think that the solution that worked
there would also have worked on PowerPC as well, and it would have
been fixed fairly quickly.

Thanks!

Rick

dillserver:~# aptitude -Pv full-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information... Done
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-
fbdev xserver-xorg-video-mach64
xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-
r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd xserver-
xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge
xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-
video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident
xserver-xorg-video-v4l
21 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.

Need to get 5235kB of archives. After unpacking 184kB will be freed.
xserver-xorg-core: Conflicts: xserver-xorg-input-4 which is a
virtual package.

Keep the following packages at their current version:
xserver-xorg [1:7.4+4 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-core [2:1.6.5-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-input-evdev [1:2.2.5-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics [1.2.0-2 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-ati [1:6.12.3-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-chips [1:1.2.1-3 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev [1:0.4.0-4 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-mach64 [6.8.2-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-mga [1:1.4.11.dfsg-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-nv [1:2.1.14-2 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-r128 [6.8.1-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-radeon [1:6.12.3-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd [1.2.5-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-s3 [1:0.6.2-1+b1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-s3virge [1:1.10.2-2 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-savage [1:2.3.0-1+b1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-sis [1:0.10.1-2 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-sisusb [1:0.9.1-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-tdfx [1:1.4.1-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-trident [1:1.3.1-1 (testing, now)]
xserver-xorg-video-v4l [0.2.0-3 (testing, now)]

Tier: Cancel all user actions (20000)

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Old 01-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Monday 18 January 2010 07:11:36 Rick Thomas wrote:
> Does anybody know what's causing this?
>
> Is there anything I can do? It's been a couple of weeks like this.
>
> I understand "Normal Sid churn": Something like this happened on i386
> a while ago and it took over a month to resolve there (I don't know
> what happened, but one day it just went away...) If this is the same
> problem as the i386 one, you'd think that the solution that worked
> there would also have worked on PowerPC as well, and it would have
> been fixed fairly quickly.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Rick

Apparently, I have the same problem on sid-amd64. So, just have to wait, I
guess
Thierry

Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-01-18 07:11 +0100, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Does anybody know what's causing this?
>
> Is there anything I can do?

Maybe. Hopefully.

>> dillserver:~# aptitude -Pv full-upgrade
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Reading extended state information... Done
>> Initializing package states... Done
>> Reading task descriptions... Done
>> The following packages are BROKEN:
>> xserver-xorg-core
>> The following packages will be upgraded:
>> xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
>> xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-
>> fbdev xserver-xorg-video-mach64
>> xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-
>> r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd xserver-
>> xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge
>> xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-
>> video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident
>> xserver-xorg-video-v4l
>> 21 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
>> upgraded.
>> Need to get 5235kB of archives. After unpacking 184kB will be freed.
>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> xserver-xorg-core: Conflicts: xserver-xorg-input-4 which is a
>> virtual package.
>> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>>
>> Keep the following packages at their current version:
>> xserver-xorg [1:7.4+4 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-core [2:1.6.5-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-input-evdev [1:2.2.5-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-input-synaptics [1.2.0-2 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-ati [1:6.12.3-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-chips [1:1.2.1-3 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-fbdev [1:0.4.0-4 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-mach64 [6.8.2-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-mga [1:1.4.11.dfsg-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-nv [1:2.1.14-2 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-r128 [6.8.1-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-radeon [1:6.12.3-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd [1.2.5-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-s3 [1:0.6.2-1+b1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-s3virge [1:1.10.2-2 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-savage [1:2.3.0-1+b1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-sis [1:0.10.1-2 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-sisusb [1:0.9.1-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-tdfx [1:1.4.1-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-trident [1:1.3.1-1 (testing, now)]
>> xserver-xorg-video-v4l [0.2.0-3 (testing, now)]
>>
>> Tier: Cancel all user actions (20000)
>>
>> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Press 'n' and see which other solutions aptitude has to offer.

Sven

Old 01-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Michel Dänzer

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 01:11 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Does anybody know what's causing this?
>
> Is there anything I can do? It's been a couple of weeks like this.
>
> I understand "Normal Sid churn": Something like this happened on i386
> a while ago and it took over a month to resolve there (I don't know
> what happened, but one day it just went away...) If this is the same
> problem as the i386 one, you'd think that the solution that worked
> there would also have worked on PowerPC as well, and it would have
> been fixed fairly quickly.

[...]

> > xserver-xorg-core: Conflicts: xserver-xorg-input-4 which is a
> > virtual package.

This means at least one of the xserver-xorg-video-* packages to be
installed hasn't been rebuilt against the new xserver-xorg-core yet. You
could try removing driver packages you don't need.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer | http://www.vmware.com
Libre software enthusiast | Debian, X and DRI developer