Old 01-18-2010, 01:27 AM
ZephyrQ

Default Out of the box USB wireless adapter

I'm helping another family (not tech savvy) that is trying to use a
debian flavored OS and they have 2 computers...one is running XP and has
the wireless modem (a 2Wire) but the other computer is running linux and
we need a USB wireless adapter that works out of the box. They have
bought 3 so far and none work. There was one they had that *did* work
out of the box, but it got broke and they no longer make it (Linksys).
They tried another Linksys, but it requires ndiswrapper to install,
which requires more tech knowledge than they possess.

So, what USB wireless adapters will work out of the box, or is there a
website that will list them?

(They are running Ubuntu, btw).

Old 01-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Mark

>On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM, ZephyrQ <ZephyrQ@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[snip]

>So, what USB wireless adapters will work out of the box, or is there a

>website that will list them?

[snip]

This link was provided by Celejar from this list about 6 months ago when I asked a similar question - just select the USB interface type: http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

Mark

Old 01-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Tim Tebbit

ZephyrQ wrote:

> So, what USB wireless adapters will work out of the box, or is there a
> website that will list them?

Friend just purchased the Alfa AWUS036H the other day and I did see him
open the box. Worked find with the latest Kernel those guys are providing.