Old 01-17-2010, 06:38 PM
roberto

Default graphviz hidden

hello,
i have installed graphviz via aptitude on my debian 5.0 and it appears to be in:
$ whereis graphviz
graphviz: /usr/lib/graphviz /usr/share/graphviz
/usr/share/man/man7/graphviz.7.gz

but where is the executable ?

thank you in advance

--
roberto

Old 01-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:38:19 +0100, roberto wrote:

> hello,
> i have installed graphviz via aptitude on my debian 5.0 and it appears
> to be in: $ whereis graphviz
> graphviz: /usr/lib/graphviz /usr/share/graphviz
> /usr/share/man/man7/graphviz.7.gz
>
> but where is the executable ?

It seems the package itself installs various set of tools located at the
usual location:

/usr/bin/acyclic
/usr/bin/bcomps
/usr/bin/ccomps
/usr/bin/circo
/usr/bin/diffimg
/usr/bin/dijkstra
/usr/bin/dot
/usr/bin/dot2gxl
/usr/bin/dotty
/usr/bin/fdp
/usr/bin/gc
/usr/bin/gvcolor
/usr/bin/gvpack
/usr/bin/gvpr
/usr/bin/gxl2dot
/usr/bin/lefty
/usr/bin/lneato
/usr/bin/neato
/usr/bin/nop
/usr/bin/prune
/usr/bin/sccmap
/usr/bin/tred
/usr/bin/twopi
/usr/bin/unflatten

So I would read the manual to get an idea of how to use all of them :-)

Graphviz - Graph Visualization Software (User's Guides)
http://www.graphviz.org/Documentation.php

Wikipedia has more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphviz

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:38:19 +0100
roberto <roberto03@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello roberto,

> but where is the executable ?

There isn't one, but many;

/usr/bin/tred
/usr/bin/gxl2dot
/usr/bin/dot
/usr/bin/gc
/usr/bin/lneato
/usr/bin/dotty
/usr/bin/prune
/usr/bin/lefty
/usr/bin/bcomps
/usr/bin/gvpr
/usr/bin/nop
/usr/bin/ccomps
/usr/bin/dijkstra
/usr/bin/diffimg
/usr/bin/sccmap
/usr/bin/gvcolor
/usr/bin/unflatten
/usr/bin/acyclic
/usr/bin/gvpack

Not all of which are meant to be user called. "dot" is the one to "bone
up" on.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

There's no point in asking you'll get no reply
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

Old 01-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Tixy

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 20:38 +0100, roberto wrote:
> hello,
> i have installed graphviz via aptitude on my debian 5.0 and it appears to be in:
> $ whereis graphviz
> graphviz: /usr/lib/graphviz /usr/share/graphviz
> /usr/share/man/man7/graphviz.7.gz
>
> but where is the executable ?

Typing 'man graphviz' says that it is a 'rich set of graph drawing
tools', then goes on to list the set of tools. I guess that there is no
executable called graphviz, just one for each tools - like 'dot' or
'neato'.

(I have graphviz installed for use by Doxygen, in case you are using it
for the same... I have an empty DOT_PATH and that seems to work.)

--
Tixy

Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 AM

The executables are dot, dotty, neato, etc. See 'man graphviz' also the docs at the graphviz web site.
Mark
i have installed graphviz via aptitude on my debian 5.0 and it appears to be in:
$ whereis graphviz
graphviz: /usr/lib/graphviz /usr/share/graphviz
/usr/share/man/man7/graphviz.7.gz

but where is the executable ?

thank you in advance

--
roberto

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Jon Dowland

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 07:51:53PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> It seems the package itself installs various set of tools
> located at the usual location:

For reference, you can look at the list of files installed
by a package with "dpkg -L <packagename>". I find "dpkg -L
<packagename> | grep /bin" often to be useful.

--
Jon Dowland

Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 AM
roberto

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 07:51:53PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> It seems the package itself installs various set of tools
>> located at the usual location:
>
> For reference, you can look at the list of files installed
> by a package with "dpkg -L <packagename>". I find "dpkg -L
> <packagename> | grep /bin" often to be useful.
>

> --

great,

thank you all for your help !
--