Old 01-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Ogya Chief

Default Any Linux CAD tools?

Hi All,

I am looking for a CAD tool to draw among other things contours. I have tried to use the spline feature of QCAD. The issue is that I don't seem to find any way of joining two splines together or extending an open spline.

I have also looked at PythonCAD but it does not seem to have any option for drawing smooth curves.

What other options are available on the Linux platform?

Regards,
Ogya

Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Osamu Aoki

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch11.en.html#_graphic_data_tools

Old 01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Ogya Chief

> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 00:20:34 +0900
> From: osamu@debian.org
> To: ogyachief@hotmail.com
> CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Any Linux CAD tools?
>
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 04:47:53PM +0200, Ogya Chief wrote:
> > I am looking for a CAD tool...
> > What other options are available on the Linux platform?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch11.en.html#_graphic_data_tools

Thanks. I will have a look at the page.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:47:53 +0200, Ogya Chief wrote:

> I am looking for a CAD tool to draw among other things contours. I have
> tried to use the spline feature of QCAD. The issue is that I don't seem
> to find any way of joining two splines together or extending an open
> spline.
>
> I have also looked at PythonCAD but it does not seem to have any option
> for drawing smooth curves.
>
> What other options are available on the Linux platform?

Wikipedia has a list of CAD programs:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Comparison_of_CAD_editors_for_architecture,_engine ering_and_construction_
(AEC)>

Also, FSF has another list:

http://directory.fsf.org/category/cad/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-17-2010, 03:50 PM
"Tim Clewlow"

> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a CAD tool to draw among other things contours. I
> have tried to use the spline feature of QCAD. The issue is that I
> don't seem to find any way of joining two splines together or
> extending an open spline.
>
> I have also looked at PythonCAD but it does not seem to have any
> option for drawing smooth curves.
>
> What other options are available on the Linux platform?
>
> Regards,
> Ogya

If you are looking for something similar to 3DS Max, or Maya, or
Houdini, ie a full featured 3D modelling app, then hav a look at
'blender'

http://www.blender.org/

Regards, Tim.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Ogya Chief

*

> If you are looking for something similar to 3DS Max, or Maya, or
> Houdini, ie a full featured 3D modelling app, then hav a look at
> 'blender'
>
> http://www.blender.org/
>
> Regards, Tim.

Hi All,

*

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will have a look at all of them to determine their suitability for my needs.

*

Regards,

Ogya

Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM
green

Ogya Chief wrote at 2010-01-17 08:47 -0600:
> I am looking for a CAD tool to draw among other things contours. I have
> tried to use the spline feature of QCAD. The issue is that I don't seem to
> find any way of joining two splines together or extending an open spline.
>
> I have also looked at PythonCAD but it does not seem to have any option
> for drawing smooth curves.
>
> What other options are available on the Linux platform?

freecad is available in testing, but is probably not ready for production use.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Stefaan Himpe

What other options are available on the Linux platform?

If you're not afraid of mathematics, perhaps you can use asymptote to
program your graphics. http://asymptote.sourceforge.net

Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Timo Boettcher

Hi!

* Ogya Chief <ogyachief@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a CAD tool to draw among other things contours.
[...]
> What other options are available on the Linux platform?
There is a list on http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Engineering

Timo