Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Paul Cartwright

Default exim4-SASL auth

I am trying to follow this example:
http://wiki.edseek.com/howto:exim4_courier

and I get down to the part where you test saslauthd:
Let's test our new server configuration again with swaks, actually performing
authentication by specifying a valid username and password before closing the
connection after successful authentication.

evie:/etc/exim4# swaks -a -tls -q AUTH -s localhost -au jasonb

and I get these lines:
<~* 435 Unable to authenticate at present
~> AUTH PLAIN AHBiYwBteSxzdXMz
<~* 435 Unable to authenticate at present
*** No authentication type succeeded

the earlier test for TLS worked:
$ swaks -a -tls -q HELO -s localhost -au jasonb -ap '<>'

what am I missing?
I uncommented the lines in /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 01-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

and I get down to the part where you test saslauthd:
Let's test our new server configuration again with swaks, actually performing
authentication by specifying a valid username and password before closing the
connection after successful authentication.

evie:/etc/exim4# swaks -a -tls -q AUTH -s localhost -au jasonb

and I get these lines:
<~* 435 Unable to authenticate at present
~> AUTH PLAIN AHBiYwBteSxzdXMz
<~* 435 Unable to authenticate at present
*** No authentication type succeeded

the earlier test for TLS worked:
$ swaks -a -tls -q HELO -s localhost -au jasonb -ap '<>'

what am I missing?
I uncommented the lines in /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template

What does /var/log/exim4/mainlog say when you try to authenticate?

--
When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if
I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?"

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Sun January 17 2010, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> > the earlier test for TLS worked:
> > $ swaks -a -tls -q HELO -s localhost -au jasonb -ap '<>'
> >
> > what am I missing?
> > I uncommented the lines in /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template
> > * *
>
> What does /var/log/exim4/mainlog say when you try to authenticate?

cannot connect to saslauthd daemon at /var/run/saslauthd/mux: No such file or
directory

it seems the /var/run/saslauthd folder is empty.