Old 01-17-2010, 04:45 AM
Peter Jordan

Default umask for init?

Hi,

under debian lenny during the boot process all created run files are
0644, but I want 0640.

Does anyone know how to configure that?

Thanks

PJ

Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Laurent Guignard

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 06:45:09 +0100, Peter Jordan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> under debian lenny during the boot process all created run files are
> 0644, but I want 0640.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure that?
>
> Thanks
>
> PJ

Hello,

In your /etc/profile you should have this command :
umask 0137
instead of umask 0133

If the solution point only one user you can add this command in the .bashrc
file or .bash_profile file...

Hope this will help.

Regards.
--
Laurent Guignard, Registered as user #301590 with the Linux Counter
Site : http://www.famille-guignard.org

Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Scott Gifford

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Laurent Guignard <lguignard.debian@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 06:45:09 +0100, Peter Jordan wrote:

> Hi,

> under debian lenny during the boot process all created run files are

> 0644, but I want 0640.

> Does anyone know how to configure that?

I'm not sure how to configure the umask for init itself, but on my Lenny install at least, all other startup scripts are run from /etc/init.d/rc, which is a shell script you can edit to change the umask. *I'm not sure if there will be any unexpected side-effects from the change you propose, but it would be fun to find out. *:-)

Good luck!
-----Scott.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
"Wayne

Scott Gifford wrote:

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Laurent Guignard <
under debian lenny during the boot process all created run files are
0644, but I want 0640.

Does anyone know how to configure that?

I'm not sure how to configure the umask for init itself, but on my Lenny
install at least, all other startup scripts are run from /etc/init.d/rc,
which is a shell script you can edit to change the umask. I'm not sure if
there will be any unexpected side-effects from the change you propose, but
it would be fun to find out. :-)

man cmask might be of some interest.

Wayne