Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 AM
Martin McCormick

Default Never Ending Quest for Working PCMCIA Serial Port Dell Enspiron

The laptop in question has a built-in dialup modem which
doesn't even show up as a serial port in Linux. In the P.C.'s
setup screen, it doesn't show up there so I can't remove or move
it out of the way, but a PCMCIA card installed containing a real
truly RS-232 port tries to come in as ttyS0. That internal modem
is probably the reason why /dev/ttyS0 acts as it does. One can
not send from it, but one can receive.

Is there a way to fake out the system to make it assign
/dev/ttyS1 to the PCMCIA port? That would probably make it work.

Thanks for any ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer

Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Dale

2010/1/17 Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>:
> * * * *The laptop in question has a built-in dialup modem which
> doesn't even show up as a serial port in Linux. In the P.C.'s
> setup screen, it doesn't show up there so I can't remove or move
> it out of the way, but a PCMCIA card installed containing a real
> truly RS-232 port tries to come in as ttyS0. That internal modem
> is probably the reason why /dev/ttyS0 acts as it does. One can
> not send from it, but one can receive.
>
> * * * *Is there a way to fake out the system to make it assign
> /dev/ttyS1 to the PCMCIA port? That would probably make it work.
>
> * * * *Thanks for any ideas.

You could have a look at doing it with udev

Regards
Dale
--
[WWW] http://quail.southernvaleslug.org/
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level

Old 01-18-2010, 04:11 AM
Martin McCormick

Dale writes:
> You could have a look at doing it with udev

This does seem like what I need but I haven't gotten it
to make one bit of difference yet. With the PCMCIA card out, no
/dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1 devices are present. That modem which I
believe to be a Winmodem, is probably /dev/ttyS0. If you do

udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/ttyS1)

or the same command for ttyS0, you get:

Udevinfo starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
and the attributes from one single parent device.

looking at device '/class/tty/ttyS1':
KERNEL=="ttyS1"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty"
DRIVER==""

looking at parent device '/devices/platform/serial8250':
KERNELS=="serial8250"
SUBSYSTEMS=="platform"
DRIVERS=="serial8250"
ATTRS{modalias}=="platform:serial8250"

looking at parent device '/devices/platform':
KERNELS=="platform"
SUBSYSTEMS==""
DRIVERS==""

Boot the system with the PCMCIA card in and that is when
things get wrong. Both ttyS0 and ttyS1 now clame the card. Here
is ttyS1. ttyS0 is the same except for the ttyS0 designation.

Udevinfo starts----

looking at device '/class/tty/ttyS1':
KERNEL=="ttyS1"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty"
DRIVER==""

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:04.0/0000:03:00.0':
KERNELS=="0000:03:00.0"
SUBSYSTEMS=="pci"
DRIVERS=="serial"
ATTRS{vendor}=="0x4348"
ATTRS{device}=="0x3253"
ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x4348"
ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x3253"
ATTRS{class}=="0x070002"
ATTRS{irq}=="10"
ATTRS{local_cpus}=="ff"
ATTRS{local_cpulist}=="0-7"
ATTRS{modalias}=="pci:v00004348d00003253sv00004348 sd00003253bc07sc00i02"
ATTRS{enable}=="1"
ATTRS{broken_parity_status}=="0"
ATTRS{msi_bus}==""

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:04.0':
KERNELS=="0000:02:04.0"
SUBSYSTEMS=="pci"
DRIVERS=="yenta_cardbus"
ATTRS{vendor}=="0x1217"
ATTRS{device}=="0x6972"
ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x1028"
ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x00b8"
ATTRS{class}=="0x060700"
ATTRS{irq}=="10"
ATTRS{local_cpus}=="ff"
ATTRS{local_cpulist}=="0-7"
ATTRS{modalias}=="pci:v00001217d00006972sv00001028 sd000000B8bc06sc07i00"
ATTRS{enable}=="2"
ATTRS{broken_parity_status}=="0"
ATTRS{msi_bus}=="1"

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0':
KERNELS=="0000:00:1e.0"
SUBSYSTEMS=="pci"
DRIVERS==""
ATTRS{vendor}=="0x8086"
ATTRS{device}=="0x2448"
ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x0000"
ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x0000"
ATTRS{class}=="0x060400"
ATTRS{irq}=="0"
ATTRS{local_cpus}=="ff"
ATTRS{local_cpulist}=="0-7"
ATTRS{modalias}=="pci:v00008086d00002448sv00000000 sd00000000bc06sc04i00"
ATTRS{enable}=="1"
ATTRS{broken_parity_status}=="0"
ATTRS{msi_bus}=="1"

looking at parent device '/devices/pci0000:00':
KERNELS=="pci0000:00"
SUBSYSTEMS==""
DRIVERS==""

The weirdness only extends as far as ttyS1 so I thought
I could slug the meter, so to speak and put in the defaults for
ttyS0 and ttyS1 and hopefully the card would nicely become ttyS2.
No such luck. The card still sits right there, being both ttyS0
and ttyS1 and not really working as either.

Any other ideas as to how to get this to operate
normally? I did run udevadm in test mode and it did complain
that it could not open /dev/ttyS0.

Thank you.