Old 01-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Rob Owens

Default inserting USB key causes reboot (sometimes)

I need help diagnosing a problem. I have a Lenny system that sometimes
reboots when I insert a USB key. It happens with multiple USB keys, but
I can't figure out the pattern as to when it reboots and when it
doesn't.

I should mention that it's more of a hard reset than a reboot --
services don't get a chance to shut down or anything like that.

I *think* it is more likely to happen if I insert the USB stick
immediately after login. GDM is set up to auto-login my user.

I've looked through the log files but can't find anything conclusive.
Anybody have any ideas?

-Rob

Old 01-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Nuno Magalh√£es

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 01:45, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> I need help diagnosing a problem. ¬*I have a Lenny system that sometimes
> reboots when I insert a USB key. ¬*It happens with multiple USB keys, but
> I can't figure out the pattern as to when it reboots and when it
> doesn't.

I had the same situation, but upon removal of the usb key (after it
had been unmounted, of course). It happened randomly, both in windows
and linux. It hasn't happened in ages (and i haven't sued windows in
ages either), neither did i take any action 'cos i couldn't figure it
out. It would seem hardware related, i have an Asus M2NPV-VM
motherboard and am running unstable.

HTH

--
() ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŇ* html-a retpoŇĚto
/ ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Saturday 16 January 2010 19:45:14 Rob Owens wrote:
> I need help diagnosing a problem. I have a Lenny system that sometimes
> reboots when I insert a USB key. It happens with multiple USB keys, but
> I can't figure out the pattern as to when it reboots and when it
> doesn't.

While my current system does not have this problem, my older system would
occasionally reboot when something was plugged in.

It's probably a problem with the port(s). When something is plugged in, it
starts supplying USB power, this causes a voltage drop, some capacitor empties
and the system shuts down. It's like an (extremely) localized brownout.

Still, the symptoms you describe could be caused by virtually anything in the
chain from device to kernel. Since you can't seem to isolate it to a certain
device, I would suggest that the next troubleshooting steps would be to try to
isolated it to a port or kernel.

So, you might try to get the symptoms to show on Debian/kFreeBSD and make sure
you can get the symptoms to show on every port.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Rob Owens

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:21:19AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 16 January 2010 19:45:14 Rob Owens wrote:
> > I need help diagnosing a problem. I have a Lenny system that sometimes
> > reboots when I insert a USB key. It happens with multiple USB keys, but
> > I can't figure out the pattern as to when it reboots and when it
> > doesn't.
>
> While my current system does not have this problem, my older system would
> occasionally reboot when something was plugged in.
>
> It's probably a problem with the port(s). When something is plugged in, it
> starts supplying USB power, this causes a voltage drop, some capacitor empties
> and the system shuts down. It's like an (extremely) localized brownout.
>
> Still, the symptoms you describe could be caused by virtually anything in the
> chain from device to kernel. Since you can't seem to isolate it to a certain
> device, I would suggest that the next troubleshooting steps would be to try to
> isolated it to a port or kernel.
>
> So, you might try to get the symptoms to show on Debian/kFreeBSD and make sure
> you can get the symptoms to show on every port.

Thanks for the insight. The machine in question is at a customer's
site, so I'll have him try different ports for now. Hopefully I can
avoid taking a trip to his site...

-Rob