Old 01-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default Kernel compile and install does not create initrd

Patrick Wiseman wrote:

I have compiled a custom kernel, using 'make-kpkg clean && make-kpkg
--initrd --revision=sage.1.0 kernel-image', 'sage' being the name of
my machine. I then installed it, using 'dpkg -i
linux-image-2.6.30_sage.1.0_amd64.deb'. I had thought that would be
enough to create the initrd necessary to boot, but there is no
initrd-image in /boot corresponding to the kernel, and (of course)
none listed in /boot/grub/menu.lst for this kernel's entry. So (again
of course) there's a kernel panic when I attempt to boot using this
kernel. I tried dpkg-reconfigure on the kernel, but no joy.
initramfs and initrd support are enabled in my kernel config. So can
anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? (I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm
not seeing it, and I've read the relevant sections of the Debian Linux
Kernel Handbook.)

If this is the latest version of make-kpkg, did you
cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/
cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs
/etc/kernel/postrm.d/

?

Hugo

Old 01-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Patrick Wiseman

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>>
>> I have compiled a custom kernel, using 'make-kpkg clean && make-kpkg
>> --initrd --revision=sage.1.0 kernel-image', 'sage' being the name of
>> my machine. *I then installed it, using 'dpkg -i
>> linux-image-2.6.30_sage.1.0_amd64.deb'. *I had thought that would be
>> enough to create the initrd necessary to boot, but there is no
>> initrd-image in /boot corresponding to the kernel, and (of course)
>> none listed in /boot/grub/menu.lst for this kernel's entry. *So (again
>> of course) there's a kernel panic when I attempt to boot using this
>> kernel. *I tried dpkg-reconfigure on the kernel, but no joy.
>> initramfs and initrd support are enabled in my kernel config. *So can
>> anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? *(I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm
>> not seeing it, and I've read the relevant sections of the Debian Linux
>> Kernel Handbook.)
>>

> If this is the latest version of make-kpkg, did you
> cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs
> /etc/kernel/postinst.d/
> cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs
> /etc/kernel/postrm.d/
> ?

Uh, no, I didn't. I have now. And dkpg-reconfigure has now created
the initrd image, and grub has found it. Thanks! (I appreciate the
help, but where should I have looked? My googling did not turn up
that solution! And neither did 'man make-kpkg', although I see now
there's some obtuse language in there which is perhaps meant to convey
the same information.)

Patrick

Old 01-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Patrick Wiseman wrote:

[...]

This was dicussed on the list. My reference is:
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/38247e9a7f3561ea/6fe4f2d08bc209a1?hl=ia&q=group:linux.debian.user+i nsubject:kernel-package#6fe4f2d08bc209a1
and you're right, that post does not show up by googling initrd or
kernel. So much for google...

Hugo

Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 AM
Manoj Srivastava

,----[ Manual page make-kpkg(1) line 132/382 ]
| --initrd
| If make-kpkg is generating a kernel-image package, arrange to
| convey to the hook scripts run from the post installation
| maintainer scripts that this image requires an initrd, and that
| the initrd generation hook scripts should not short circuit
| early. Without this option, the example initramfs hook scripts
| bundled in with kernel-package will take no action on
| installation. The same effect can be achieved by setting the
| environment variable INITRD to any non empty value. Please note <-*
| that unless there are hook scripts in /etc/kernel or added into <-*
| the hook script parameter of /etc/kernel-img.conf. no initrd <-*
| will be created (the bundled in example scripts are just examples <-*
| -- user action is required before anything happens). <-*
`----

I guess this could be made more, umm, insistent, somehow.

manoj
--
There ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot
over. --Larry Wall in <1992Aug19.041614.6963@netlabs.com>