Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Daniel Dalton

Default lxde/setting environment variables

Hi,

I've just installed lxde and like the concept of it. I must set an
environment variable so I can run orca under the desktop. What file
should I place an export command in to export this variable to the lxde
desktop, to save me from having to export it every time before I launch
a program eg.
saving me from having to open a term, export the variable then run the
program from the term, I can just run the program from the desktop as
the var has already been exported at startup.

So what file should I look into for exporting environment variables to
lxde?

Thanks very much
Dan

Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-01-16, Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi,=20
>
> I've just installed lxde and like the concept of it. I must set an
> environment variable so I can run orca under the desktop. What file
> should I place an export command in to export this variable to the lxde
> desktop, to save me from having to export it every time before I launch
> a program eg.
> saving me from having to open a term, export the variable then run the
> program from the term, I can just run the program from the desktop as
> the var has already been exported at startup.
>
> So what file should I look into for exporting environment variables to
> lxde?

I recommend ~/.xsessionrc.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Daniel Dalton

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:48:49AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> > I've just installed lxde and like the concept of it. I must set an
> > environment variable so I can run orca under the desktop. What file
> > should I place an export command in to export this variable to the lxde
> > desktop, to save me from having to export it every time before I launch
> > a program eg.
> I recommend ~/.xsessionrc.

Thanks, now with the variable exported, orca seems to run fine if
launched from an lxterm (terminal window), but doesn't work if it is
invoked from the alt+f2 run dialog. Should the alt+f2 dialog honour the
variables value?

Thanks very much
Dan

Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-01-16, Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:48:49AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>> > I've just installed lxde and like the concept of it. I must set an
>> > environment variable so I can run orca under the desktop. What file
>> > should I place an export command in to export this variable to the lxde
>> > desktop, to save me from having to export it every time before I launch
>> > a program eg.
>> I recommend ~/.xsessionrc.
>
> Thanks, now with the variable exported, orca seems to run fine if
> launched from an lxterm (terminal window), but doesn't work if it is
> invoked from the alt+f2 run dialog. Should the alt+f2 dialog honour the
> variables value?

I would have expected it to, based on my experience with GNOME and KDE.

If you can find out what command ALT+F2 is bound to, then you could write a
wrapper script for it in which the environment variable is exported. It's
probably worth taking the problem to an LXDE forum.

Liam

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom