Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Paul Scott

Default 2.6.32-trunk-686 kernel (+some other upgrade?) can't see home file system

Hi,

As reported in another thread a reboot of my sid system on Dec. 26 to a
2.6.32-trunk-686 kernel finds errors with my the file system in my home
partition and won't mount it.

That system is now running fine with a 2.6.30-2-486 kernel. This is a
40GB hard drive where:

/dev/hda9 is /
and
/dev/hda10 is /home

I am now updating packages on that machine to see if that makes any
difference.

Thanks for previous help on this and I will back after upgrading up to
407 packages.

Paul Scott

Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Paul Scott

Paul Scott wrote:

Hi,

As reported in another thread a reboot of my sid system on Dec. 26 to a
2.6.32-trunk-686 kernel finds errors with my the file system in my home
partition and won't mount it.

That system is now running fine with a 2.6.30-2-486 kernel. This is a
40GB hard drive where:

/dev/hda9 is /
and
/dev/hda10 is /home

The 2.6.31-1-686 kernel will also not mount the home partition but a
2.6.30-2-686 kernel will.

I am now updating packages on that machine to see if that makes any
difference.

I have upgraded a few packages with no change.

Paul

Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM
green

Paul Scott wrote at 2010-01-15 17:24 -0600:
> Paul Scott wrote:
> >As reported in another thread a reboot of my sid system on Dec. 26
> >to a 2.6.32-trunk-686 kernel finds errors with my the file system
> >in my home partition and won't mount it.

Now we have a new thread, so context is lost. It is easier (for those of us
viewing our mail as threads) to help you when we can see all the thread's
messages grouped together in our mail clients.

> >That system is now running fine with a 2.6.30-2-486 kernel. This
> >is a 40GB hard drive where:
> >
> >/dev/hda9 is /
> >and
> >/dev/hda10 is /home
>
> The 2.6.31-1-686 kernel will also not mount the home partition but a
> 2.6.30-2-686 kernel will.

So 2 kernel packages on one sid system, one does and one does not mount the
home partition.

Have you checked "dmesg | tail" and compared after attempting the mount with
each kernel?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Paul Scott

green wrote:

As reported in another thread a reboot of my sid system on Dec. 26
to a 2.6.32-trunk-686 kernel finds errors with my the file system
in my home partition and won't mount it.

Now we have a new thread, so context is lost. It is easier (for those of us
viewing our mail as threads) to help you when we can see all the thread's
messages grouped together in our mail clients.

Totally understood.

1. I hadn't gotten responses for a while on that thread.

2. After getting my system to boot with it's home directory the two
mail threads are stored in two different places for me.

3. I'm not sure if the other thread had much relevance now. The live
CDs I used are not necsssary now.

That system is now running fine with a 2.6.30-2-486 kernel. This
is a 40GB hard drive where:

/dev/hda9 is /
and
/dev/hda10 is /home

The 2.6.31-1-686 kernel will also not mount the home partition but a
2.6.30-2-686 kernel will.

So 2 kernel packages on one sid system, one does and one does not mount the
home partition.

Yes.

Have you checked "dmesg | tail" and compared after attempting the mount with
each kernel?

I have looked at dmesg and syslog. I saw suspicious stuff but haven't
made an exact comparison.

I may not be able to get back to this right away since classes start
that I have to prepare for and at least I have a working system.

Thanks for your persistence,

Paul

Old 01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
green

Paul Scott wrote at 2010-01-18 16:15 -0600:
> green wrote:
> >Have you checked "dmesg | tail" and compared after attempting the
> >mount with each kernel?
>
> I have looked at dmesg and syslog. I saw suspicious stuff but
> haven't made an exact comparison.
>
> I may not be able to get back to this right away since classes start
> that I have to prepare for and at least I have a working system.

When you have time, let us see what the 'suspicious stuff' is.