Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Adam Hardy

Default autoaudiosink alsasink missing

Solved this now but for anyone else out there (and in my google search results,
it looks like there are a few):

until yesterday I had no problems playing music on lenny, but after loading the
latest updates, which were much more numerous than usual, my songbird refused to
play anything, giving the error about autoaudiosink and alsasink both being
missing.

Plus the audio control panel on the desktop (the xfce plugin for me) had no
controls in it anymore except the mic.

After trying a few things, I just did the following:

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base alsa-oss alsa-source alsa-tools alsa-utils
linux-sound-base

followed swiftly by:

sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-oss alsa-source alsa-tools alsa-utils
linux-sound-base

I don't know which package had got messed up by the update yesterday, but
everything is playing nicely now.

Adam