Old 01-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Dan H

Default Autostart programs: How to remove them?

Hello,

it's still me and my GNOME desktop. One thing that irritates me: I once installed a Google desktop indexing tool, which now starts up every time I start GNOME. I tried to disable it, but it doesn't work. When I go to Desktop->Preferences->Sessions and then delete it from the list of "Startup Programs" (where it is the only entry), it always re-appears there. How can I disable it for good? Where does GNOME store its information about programs to launch at startup?

--D.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Angus Auld

--- Dan H <dunno@stoptrick.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it's still me and my GNOME desktop. One thing that
> irritates me: I once installed a Google desktop
> indexing tool, which now starts up every time I
> start GNOME. I tried to disable it, but it doesn't
> work. When I go to Desktop->Preferences->Sessions
> and then delete it from the list of "Startup
> Programs" (where it is the only entry), it always
> re-appears there. How can I disable it for good?
> Where does GNOME store its information about
> programs to launch at startup?
>
> --D.

Dan, I'm not sure if this will apply to you, since I
am using
XFCE (never did like Gnome).
But check to see if you have a ~/.config folder. In
that folder
there is a folder "autostart", and in it are programs
to be started
at login.

HTHs. Best regards.

-- Angus

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Jan 7, 2008 6:29 AM, Dan H <dunno@stoptrick.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it's still me and my GNOME desktop. One thing that irritates me: I once installed a Google desktop indexing tool, which now starts up every time I start GNOME. I tried to disable it, but it doesn't work. When I go to Desktop->Preferences->Sessions and then delete it from the list of "Startup Programs" (where it is the only entry), it always re-appears there. How can I disable it for good? Where does GNOME store its information about programs to launch at startup?

I'm curious why someone would even bother installing Google Desktop if
they're not going to run it...it's one of those things that more or
less has to run while you're logged in to keep the index synchronized.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 01-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Mark Fletcher

Paul Johnson <baloo <at> ursine.ca> writes:

> I'm curious why someone would even bother installing Google Desktop if
> they're not going to run it...it's one of those things that more or
> less has to run while you're logged in to keep the index synchronized.

Perhaps he installed it to try it out, and then didn't like it? eg the amount of
system resource it consumes while indexing or something...

Just a thought. Anyway, I've got the same problem (totem in my case, not Google
Desktop) and I also can't get rid of it -- could someone post a link to some
doco that explains how Gnome tracks programs to start at login? I found a file
in my home directory that references totem and is different from other users on
my machine, but that file looks system-generated and before I go deleting stuff
from it I want to understand how it works...

Mark

Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Nyizsnyik Ferenc

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 22:44:24 +0000 (UTC)
Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Johnson <baloo <at> ursine.ca> writes:
>

> > I'm curious why someone would even bother installing Google Desktop
> > if they're not going to run it...it's one of those things that more
> > or less has to run while you're logged in to keep the index
> > synchronized.
> >

> Perhaps he installed it to try it out, and then didn't like it? eg
> the amount of system resource it consumes while indexing or
> something...
>
> Just a thought. Anyway, I've got the same problem (totem in my case,
> not Google Desktop) and I also can't get rid of it -- could someone
> post a link to some doco that explains how Gnome tracks programs to
> start at login? I found a file in my home directory that references
> totem and is different from other users on my machine, but that file
> looks system-generated and before I go deleting stuff from it I want
> to understand how it works...
>
> Mark

Have you people tried to kill the unwanted programs then save the
session? At least this approach works perfectly in Xfce.

--
Szia:
Nyizsa.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:41 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 00:28:18 +0100
Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> Have you people tried to kill the unwanted programs then save the
> session? At least this approach works perfectly in Xfce.

Just to clarify, xfce apparently autostarts two sets of programs, those
you set in Settings/Autostarted Applications (which are stored in
$HOME/.config/autostart/), and any that are running when you log out
and save the session. Gnome may work the same way (I have the idea
that the $HOME/.config/autostart/ directory may be some sort of
standard, and Xfce and Gnome have some common roots), but I don't use
it, so don't really know.

> Szia:
> Nyizsa.

Celejar