FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 AM
godo
 
Default audio-video codecs problem

Hi folks,

I have some problems with audio-video codecs in Squeeze (same is on
other box with Sid).

It is .mov video (video codec: spm, audio codec: Qclp).
VLC: have audio but not video
Xine: have video but not audio [unsupported audio codec: Qualcomm
PureVoice (Qclp)]

ffplay have video and audio.

I can play without any problems .avi, .ogv or .mov with other codecs.

I would like to understand why VLC can't play video if Xine can and why
Xine can't play audio if VLC can and why ffplay can both?


Thanks for answers.
--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic
Hrvatski: www.dobosevic.com
English: www.dobosevic.com/en/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-15-2010, 08:31 AM
Kousik Maiti
 
Default audio-video codecs problem

I also Have some problem with VLC. I installed vlc from debian-multimedia repository.
When I run video file it gives the following error.

main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `XVID'.


VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

Audio files are playing perfectly.

I tried to solve this issue by googling it* but no success .


And also sound from Debian very low. But with ubuntu its much more audible.





Can anybody help?

Thanks in advanced.


On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:41 PM, godo <goran@dobosevic.com> wrote:


Hi folks,



I have some problems with audio-video codecs in Squeeze (same is on other box with Sid).

It is .mov video (video codec: spm, audio codec: Qclp).

VLC: have audio but not video

Xine: have video but not audio [unsupported audio codec: Qualcomm PureVoice (Qclp)]

ffplay have video and audio.



I can play without any problems .avi, .ogv or .mov with other codecs.



I would like to understand why VLC can't play video if Xine can and why Xine can't play audio if VLC can and why ffplay can both?



Thanks for answers.

--

Bye,

Goran Dobosevic

Hrvatski: www.dobosevic.com

*English: www.dobosevic.com/en/





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org







--
Wishing you the very best of everything, always!!!
Kousik Maiti(কৌশিক মাইতি)
Registered Linux User #474025
 
Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM
godo
 
Default audio-video codecs problem

|main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `XVID'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.|


Do you have "libmimic0"?
libmimic is an open source video decoding library for decoding Mimic
V2.x-encoded content (fourCC: ML20), which is the encoding used by MSN
Messengerfor webcam conversations.


It is from debian repository.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic
Hrvatski: www.dobosevic.com
English: www.dobosevic.com/en/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default audio-video codecs problem

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 09:11:26AM +0100, godo wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have some problems with audio-video codecs in Squeeze (same is on
> other box with Sid).
> It is .mov video (video codec: spm, audio codec: Qclp).
> VLC: have audio but not video
> Xine: have video but not audio [unsupported audio codec: Qualcomm
> PureVoice (Qclp)]
> ffplay have video and audio.
>
> I can play without any problems .avi, .ogv or .mov with other codecs.
>
> I would like to understand why VLC can't play video if Xine can and why
> Xine can't play audio if VLC can and why ffplay can both?
>
There is some kind of conflict between some files installed by
debian-mulitmedia.org and VLC. I remember reading about it, but I can't
remember where.

I'm in the same situation as you. VLC will play many things (DVD isos,
mpegs, etc), but not stuff like wmv. The solution is to either:

1) remove the offending package from debian-mulitmedia, which will involve some
research (and you probably need it for another useful package)

or

2) use Mplayer for the stuff that VLC won't play. That's what I do.

I don't use Xine, so I can't comment on that.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default audio-video codecs problem

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 04:34:55PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 09:11:26AM +0100, godo wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have some problems with audio-video codecs in Squeeze (same is on
> > other box with Sid).
> > It is .mov video (video codec: spm, audio codec: Qclp).
> > VLC: have audio but not video
> > Xine: have video but not audio [unsupported audio codec: Qualcomm
> > PureVoice (Qclp)]
> > ffplay have video and audio.
> >
> > I can play without any problems .avi, .ogv or .mov with other codecs.
> >
> > I would like to understand why VLC can't play video if Xine can and why
> > Xine can't play audio if VLC can and why ffplay can both?
> >
> There is some kind of conflict between some files installed by
> debian-mulitmedia.org and VLC. I remember reading about it, but I can't
> remember where.

It's on this page:

http://www.debian-multimedia.org/archive.php

>
> I'm in the same situation as you. VLC will play many things (DVD isos,
> mpegs, etc), but not stuff like wmv. The solution is to either:
>
> 1) remove the offending package from debian-mulitmedia, which will involve some
> research (and you probably need it for another useful package)
>
> or
>
> 2) use Mplayer for the stuff that VLC won't play. That's what I do.
>
> I don't use Xine, so I can't comment on that.
>
> -Rob
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org