Old 01-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Daniel Bareiro

Default Failover of gateways

Hi all!

I'm trying to configure Debian GNU/Linux with two alternative gateways.
That is to say, that initially the traffic is by GW1 and if it is down
then it goes by GW2. If GW2 is again up, then it becomes to use GW1.

Somebody was able to implement some configuration of this type and could
help me with it or indicate some reference to me?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9 29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37
Powered by Debian GNU/Linux Lenny - Linux user #188.598

Old 01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
randall

I'm trying to configure Debian GNU/Linux with two alternative gateways.
That is to say, that initially the traffic is by GW1 and if it is down
then it goes by GW2. If GW2 is again up, then it becomes to use GW1.

Somebody was able to implement some configuration of this type and could
help me with it or indicate some reference to me?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Daniel

i believe heartbeat is what you are looking for
http://www.linux-ha.org/

Old 01-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Michal

On 14/01/2010 16:06, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to configure Debian GNU/Linux with two alternative gateways.
> That is to say, that initially the traffic is by GW1 and if it is down
> then it goes by GW2. If GW2 is again up, then it becomes to use GW1.
>
> Somebody was able to implement some configuration of this type and could
> help me with it or indicate some reference to me?
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

heartbeat, carp etc etc. It's easy under OpenBSD, I've never done it
with Debian but can't be too different. Basically you want an address
that everything points to which actually is a virtual ip address that is
used by whatever is master.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Daniel Bareiro

Hi, Randal.

On Thursday, 14 January 2010 17:11:53 +0100,
randall wrote:

>> I'm trying to configure Debian GNU/Linux with two alternative gateways.
>> That is to say, that initially the traffic is by GW1 and if it is down
>> then it goes by GW2. If GW2 is again up, then it becomes to use GW1.
>>
>> Somebody was able to implement some configuration of this type and could
>> help me with it or indicate some reference to me?

> i believe heartbeat is what you are looking for
> http://www.linux-ha.org/

Mmm... but, according to I know, Heartbeat is for implementing HA
between two physical servers. To which I talked about with GW1 and GW2
is to two Internet providers.

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,
Daniel

Old 01-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:06:29 -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

> I'm trying to configure Debian GNU/Linux with two alternative gateways.
> That is to say, that initially the traffic is by GW1 and if it is down
> then it goes by GW2. If GW2 is again up, then it becomes to use GW1.
>
> Somebody was able to implement some configuration of this type and could
> help me with it or indicate some reference to me?

There are some docs available out there:

How To: Load Balancing & Failover With Dual/ Multi WAN / ADSL / Cable
Connections on Linux
http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-load-balancing-failover-with-dual-multi-wan-adsl-cable-connections-on-linux/

Google keyboards: linux+gateway+failover

:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM
randall

On Thursday, 14 January 2010 17:11:53 +0100,
I'm trying to configure Debian GNU/Linux with two alternative gateways.
That is to say, that initially the traffic is by GW1 and if it is down
then it goes by GW2. If GW2 is again up, then it becomes to use GW1.

Somebody was able to implement some configuration of this type and could
help me with it or indicate some reference to me?

i believe heartbeat is what you are looking for
http://www.linux-ha.org/

Mmm... but, according to I know, Heartbeat is for implementing HA
between two physical servers. To which I talked about with GW1 and GW2
is to two Internet providers.

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,
Daniel

excuse me, in that case i completely misunderstood you.

but it might still apply

so if i understand correct you have 1 machine and GW1 and GW2 are both
reachable via the same network interface?

or are both gateways on a separate network interface?

Old 01-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Daniel Bareiro

Hi, Randall.

On Thursday, 14 January 2010 17:58:36 +0100,
randall wrote:

>>> i believe heartbeat is what you are looking for
>>> http://www.linux-ha.org/

>> Mmm... but, according to I know, Heartbeat is for implementing HA
>> between two physical servers. To which I talked about with GW1 and
>> GW2 is to two Internet providers.

> excuse me, in that case i completely misunderstood you.
> but it might still apply

Don't worry. It seems that Michal understood the same :-)

> so if i understand correct you have 1 machine and GW1 and GW2 are both
> reachable via the same network interface?
> or are both gateways on a separate network interface?

In the same machine there are two network interfaces where each of them
corresponds to different gateway.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel

Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 PM

This is the script I used to use at home with my two providers:

http://www.carrol.biz/olafrv/06-02-2006-ShellScriptparaCambiarde.html

Maybe you can do some modification and use it.

PD: Sorry about top post I'm on a mobile system can't change it.

Olaf.-
"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-
Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta (BB) <olafrv@gmail.com>
http://olafrv.googlepages.com

Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Alex Samad

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 01:06:29PM -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to configure Debian GNU/Linux with two alternative gateways.
> That is to say, that initially the traffic is by GW1 and if it is down
> then it goes by GW2. If GW2 is again up, then it becomes to use GW1.
>
> Somebody was able to implement some configuration of this type and could
> help me with it or indicate some reference to me?
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies.

have a look here
http://lartc.org/

linux advanced routing + TC, there is a how to do multi default
gateways.

I previously used this to do a adls2+ and a cable setup, although you
have to devise a test for each gateway. just pinging the gw isn't good
enough, do you do just past the gw ??

--
You can't take it with you -- especially when crossing a state line.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Daniel Bareiro

Hi, Randall.

randall wrote:

>> I'm trying to configure Debian GNU/Linux with two alternative
>> gateways. That is to say, that initially the traffic is by GW1 and
>> if it is down then it goes by GW2. If GW2 is again up, then it
>> becomes to use GW1.
>>
>> Somebody was able to implement some configuration of this type and
>> could help me with it or indicate some reference to me?

> i believe heartbeat is what you are looking for
> http://www.linux-ha.org/

Remembering that you had spoken of heartbeat in this thread, for other
reasons I was testing it but I found that the change of active node
only happens when another node dies and not when the service in another
node stops responding. It is possible to change of active node when the
service in a node does not respond?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9 29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37