Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Steve Kemp

Default /dev/random rate

On Thu Jan 14, 2010 at 01:43:39 +0100, "Stanis??aw T. Findeisen" wrote:

> I am trying to generate an SSL key using OpenSSL and /dev/random .
> However, it looks that the entropy generation rate is very low.

..

> Any ideas? You can try this:

You can see the amount of available entropy via:

skx@gold:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
1902
skx@gold:~$

I would guess that you have little available before, during, and
after the generation. YOu could try to fix this via one of the
sources.

(e.g. big network traffic / the addition of rng-tools or similar.)

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration
http://www.debian-administration.org/