Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Freeman

Default boot: 65/88704 files (21.2% non-contiguous),

A fsck reported a seriously defragged boot partition during a boot check.

So I tried this:

# cd
# mkdir notboot
# cp -rp /boot/* notboot
# cd /boot
# pwd
# rm -rf *
# cp -rp /root/notboot/* .
# tree .
# shutdown -rF now

The -F in shutdown to get another check. Hope that is an error free
rendition.

Results:
boot: 65/88704 files (9.4% non-contiguous)

I thought to repeated the process for further results. But it only got down

9.2% .

So I repeated but I gzipped the files in my notboot directory, then
/gunzipped them in boot. That increased my noncontiguous files to

12.4% !

I got back to 9.2% with the original process.

I am guessing that some type of fragmentation is copied with the files.
BTW, the root partition where I made the notboot directory is 1.8% .

I can live with 9.2%, but I am open to trying more!

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Wednesday 13 January 2010 18:12:51 Freeman wrote:
> A fsck reported a seriously defragged boot partition during a boot check.
>
> So I tried this:
[snip: all the easy step to fix fragmentation.]
> I can live with 9.2%, but I am open to trying more!

It's probably lying, and the number is actually lower. I think double- and
triply-indirect inodes "confuse" fsck into thinking a file is non-contiguous.
Strictly speaking the file is non-contiguous, but not in a way that matters,
and in they way a file would be written on disk even if it was empty.

So, I wouldn't worry about it.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))