Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Tony van der Hoff

Default OOo 3 dependency hell in Lenny backports

Hi,

Running Lenny here, which installs OOo 2 by default, but has OOo 3 in
backports, which I'd like to install.

With Synaptic, I've tried "Force Version" on the OOo metapackage to the
backports one, but it comes up with all sorts of unresolved deps.
Similarly, trying to force the individual packages breaks dependencies
at some stage.

I've even tried uninstalling OOo 2 completely, then installing the
pacports one, but it just results in OOo 2 being reinstalled.

So, what am I doing wrong/how do I get OOo 3 installed?

Cheers
--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |

Old 01-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Zhan

Running Lenny here, which installs OOo 2 by default, but has OOo 3 in backports, which I'd like to install.

With Synaptic, I've tried "Force Version" on the OOo metapackage to the backports one, but it comes up with all sorts of unresolved deps. Similarly, trying to force the individual packages breaks dependencies at some stage.

I've even tried uninstalling OOo 2 completely, then installing the pacports one, but it just results in OOo 2 being reinstalled.

So, what am I doing wrong/how do I get OOo 3 installed?

Cheers

--

Tony van der Hoff * * * *| mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org

Buckinghamshire, England |

I am quoting from Backports.org instructions, try if it works for you.

[begin_quote]

3. All backports are deactivated by default (i.e. the packages are pinned to 1 by using NotAutomatic: yes in the Release files, just as in experimental). If you want to install something from backports run:

apt-get -t lenny-backports install “package”

Of course, you can use aptitude as well:

aptitude -t lenny-backports install “package”
[end_quote]

For me, I have set backports with the highest priorities, so anything at backports.org with a higher version number will be automatically installed.

Good luck.
--
Thanks and regards,

Zhan

Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Thu January 14 2010, Zhan wrote:
> For me, I have set backports with the highest priorities, so anything at
> backports.org with a higher version number will be automatically installed.

I've never used backports. What packages are there that you use/need/want that
is newer/better than what you get out of Lenny??

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Lisi

subject = "OOo 3 dependency hell in Lenny backports"

On Thursday 14 January 2010 11:00:06 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I've never used backports. What packages are there that you use/need/want
> that is newer/better than what you get out of Lenny??

OOo 3 ??

Lisi

Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 14. 01. 2010 12:00:06 je Paul Cartwright napisal(a):

On Thu January 14 2010, Zhan wrote:
> For me, I have set backports with the highest priorities, so
anything at
> backports.org with a higher version number will be automatically
installed.

I've never used backports. What packages are there that you
use/need/want that

is newer/better than what you get out of Lenny??

For me, it's the mldonkey package (the backports version has support
for more p2p protocols). However, I think the backports maintainers
don't recommend using backports as a general catch-all, but preferably
for specific packages only. For example, I once installed a backports
kernel (2.30 and something) just for the heck of it, and discovered
that it didn't have support for the proprietary fglrx ATI driver, so it
was of no use to me. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend pinning backports
with a higher priority to anybody but those who know extremely well
what they're doing. On the other hand, those who know extremely well
what they're doing have no need of my recommendations or advice anyway

Just my 2 .

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Tony van der Hoff

backports.org <http://backports.org> with a higher version number will
be automatically installed.

Good luck.

Thanks for that, Zahn, it (aptitude) worked perfectly. What a pity
Synaptic is not that capable. Ah well...

Personally I am quite happy with running Lenny, with updates, on my
server - therefore also on a number of LTSP workstations. Occasionally,
in cases such as this, I resort to backports, but certainly wouldn't
want to be automatically selecting the backport.

I run Kubuntu on my laptop, though...

Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Alan Ianson

On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 06:00 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu January 14 2010, Zhan wrote:
> > For me, I have set backports with the highest priorities, so anything at
> > backports.org with a higher version number will be automatically installed.
>
> I've never used backports. What packages are there that you use/need/want that
> is newer/better than what you get out of Lenny??

I use pidgin and transmission from backports on my lenny install. In the
case of pidgin, the msn protocol has changed recently and broke the
version in lenny (just where msn is concerned).

Backports has come in handy for me a few times in the past.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Lisi

Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Angus Hedger

http://www.openoffice.org/

Old 01-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 06:00:06AM -0500, Paul Cartwright
wrote:
> I've never used backports. What packages are there that
> you use/need/want that is newer/better than what you get
> out of Lenny??

The answer to this changes depending on how old stable is.