Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Sthu Deus

Default How to grab music from remote cdrom?

Good day.

I wonder if there is a way how I can grab a music CD from remote cdrom (on a remote machine) - that is I need to use its /dev/hdc as my own?

Googling gave me no answers/ways to.

Thanks for Your time.

PS Please, reply to the list.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:16:44 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> I wonder if there is a way how I can grab a music CD from remote cdrom
> (on a remote machine) - that is I need to use its /dev/hdc as my own?
>
> Googling gave me no answers/ways to.

How about exporting the CD as another regular share (via samba or NFS)?
Then just follow the usual way to access the share in the client machine.

In the event you need more specific features, there is aldo NBD:

***
Network Block Devices: Using Hardware Over a Network
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7118

In cases where NFS or SMB/CIFS won’t fit the needs of your Linux network,
Network Block Devices (NBDs) may provide superior performance over
traditional network filesystems.
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-13-2010, 02:27 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <pan.2010.01.13.09.18.33@gmail.com>, Camalen wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:16:44 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>> I wonder if there is a way how I can grab a music CD from remote cdrom
>> (on a remote machine) - that is I need to use its /dev/hdc as my own?
>
>How about exporting the CD as another regular share (via samba or NFS)?
>Then just follow the usual way to access the share in the client machine.

Samba and NFS share file systems. A Music CD does not have a file system on
it.[1]

>In the event you need more specific features, there is aldo NBD:

NBD shares block devices. Most CD rippers prefer (or require) the use of the
character device in addition (or instead of) the block device. The character
device should allow more fine-grained control and also access to sub-channel
data that the block device doesn't expose.[2]

ATAoE or iSCSI *might* be able to do the sharing you need but, most likely,
they will be in the same category as NBD.

[1] Depends on what you consider a file system, I guess. But, CDDA data is
generally not presented by the OS as just another file system.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 1/13/2010 9:27 AM:
> In <pan.2010.01.13.09.18.33@gmail.com>, Camalen wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:16:44 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>>> I wonder if there is a way how I can grab a music CD from remote cdrom
>>> (on a remote machine) - that is I need to use its /dev/hdc as my own?
>>
>> How about exporting the CD as another regular share (via samba or NFS)?
>> Then just follow the usual way to access the share in the client machine.
>
> Samba and NFS share file systems. A Music CD does not have a file system on
> it.[1]
>
>> In the event you need more specific features, there is aldo NBD:
>
> NBD shares block devices. Most CD rippers prefer (or require) the use of the
> character device in addition (or instead of) the block device. The character
> device should allow more fine-grained control and also access to sub-channel
> data that the block device doesn't expose.[2]
>
> ATAoE or iSCSI *might* be able to do the sharing you need but, most likely,
> they will be in the same category as NBD.
>
> [1] Depends on what you consider a file system, I guess. But, CDDA data is
> generally not presented by the OS as just another file system.

This is a somewhat sad situation when you think about it for a split second.
Sharing a music CD over a Linux network should be as easy as any other platform.
Windows 95 could share a music CD over NETBEUI networks 15 years ago strictly
by right clicking the CD device, selecting "share", and assigning a share name,
with or without password protection. The individual music files showed up in a
network folder in the Explorer browser on remote machines. All one had to do to
play the music was double click the files. And, IIRC, Windows Media Player
would allow you to auto "play list" the entire music CD. It's been along
time...that feature may have required "mounting" the remote share with a local
drive letter. Anyway, it worked, and worked well.

I guess this is one area where M$ is just simply 15 years ahead of Linux.
Doesn't make me happy. Then again, this situation probably exists more due to a
lack of user demand than anything else. Most folk keep their music on one flash
device (iPod/MP3 player) or another these days and have little need for music
CDs, rebbook, MP3, or otherwise.

--
Stan

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camalen:

>How about exporting the CD as another regular share (via samba or NFS)?

Will it be possible to use a device, not FS?!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Boyd:

>Most CD rippers prefer (or require) the use of the
>character device in addition (or instead of) the block device. The character
>device should allow more fine-grained control and also access to sub-channel
>data that the block device doesn't expose.[2]

I want to use cdda2wav util...

Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Stan:

>It's been along
>time...that feature may have required "mounting" the remote share with a local
>drive letter. Anyway, it worked, and worked well.

OR is it possible to grab from iso-files that were dd-ed on the remote machine and then transmitted to mine?

Old 01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Thursday 14 January 2010 06:43:41 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Stan:
> >It's been along
> >time...that feature may have required "mounting" the remote share with a
> > local drive letter. Anyway, it worked, and worked well.
>
> OR is it possible to grab from iso-files that were dd-ed on the remote
> machine and then transmitted to mine?

An .iso file is generally a ISO-9660 filesystem i.e. from a (single track of
a) data CD.

Data CDs can be mounted and shared over Samba/NFS or shared as a block device
through ATAoE, iSCSI, or NBD without issue.

A dd from a redbook audio CD (CDDA) will be missing the subchannel data. You
might be able to convince some rippers to use it, but it is inferior for the
same reason just sharing the block device via ATAoE, iSCSI, or NBD is.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Thursday 14 January 2010 06:40:42 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Boyd:
> >Most CD rippers prefer (or require) the use of the
> >character device in addition (or instead of) the block device. The
> > character device should allow more fine-grained control and also access
> > to sub-channel data that the block device doesn't expose.[2]
>
> I want to use cdda2wav util...

Using -interface cooked_ioctl might work on a device shared via ATAoE, iSCSI,
or NBD.

Using -interface generic_scsi will probably not work unless the program can
correctly determine and access the raw SCSI (character-oriented) device. I do
not know of a way to share any character-oriented device over the network.

(ssh $cd_host 'cdda2wav -D $cd_device -x -s -paranoia -' > FullCD.wav) or
something similar should work if you can install cdda2wav on the computer
containing the CD drive but you don't have enough disk space for WAV file on
that computer.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:39:03 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camalen:
>
>>How about exporting the CD as another regular share (via samba or NFS)?
>
> Will it be possible to use a device, not FS?!

I don't think so :-(

But just test it, you can only lose time :-)

Export the CD share via samba or nfs and mount it locally into the target
machine where you are going to run the ripper. And let the program doing
its work.

Whether it fails, you'll have to search another solution for your problem.

May I ask why can't you run the audio extractor in the host machine where
the CD unit is physically attached to? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camalen