Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Thierry Chatelet

Default Virtualbox and usb

Hi,
As the title says, I am looking for a virtualbox, under lenny, that sees the
usb devices. So virtualbox-ose does not fit my requirement. Any idea what I
can use instead?
Thanks
Thierry

Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Alex Samad

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:25:10AM +0100, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> Hi,
> As the title says, I am looking for a virtualbox, under lenny, that sees the
> usb devices. So virtualbox-ose does not fit my requirement. Any idea what I
> can use instead?

Go to virtualbox.org and look for the debian repo details there. They
have their own repo

My vitualbox.list
# Virtual Box repo
# http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

#
# wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc
# -O- | sudo apt-key add -

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lenny non-free
#deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian etch non-free

--
"If the Iranians were to have a nuclear weapon they could proliferate"

- George W. Bush
03/21/2006
Washington DC

Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 AM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:25:10AM +0100, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> Hi,
> As the title says, I am looking for a virtualbox, under lenny, that sees the
> usb devices. So virtualbox-ose does not fit my requirement. Any idea what I
> can use instead?
> Thanks
> Thierry

I haven't tried this, but it looks pretty useful:

http://usbip.sourceforge.net/

Looks like there's a package for it in squeeze.

-Rob

Old 09-02-2012, 05:03 AM
T o n g

Hi,

I created my VirtualBox VM using the script from
http://www.halfdog.net/Misc/TipsAndTricks/VirtualBox.html

in which it adds USB support like this:

# Add usb if needed
vboxmanage modifyvm "${_setup_vboxName}" --usb on --usbehci on

However, when I plug in an USB key in host, the VirtualBox VM guest
doesn't see the USB key.

What's the right way to config VirtualBox VM so that USB key in host can
be accessed from within VM?

Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-02-2012, 05:17 AM
Mark Allums

On 9/2/2012 12:03 AM, T o n g wrote:

Hi,

I created my VirtualBox VM using the script from
http://www.halfdog.net/Misc/TipsAndTricks/VirtualBox.html

in which it adds USB support like this:

# Add usb if needed
vboxmanage modifyvm "${_setup_vboxName}" --usb on --usbehci on

However, when I plug in an USB key in host, the VirtualBox VM guest
doesn't see the USB key.

What's the right way to config VirtualBox VM so that USB key in host can
be accessed from within VM?

Thanks

If you are using the GUI, check the appropriate box in the Settings panel.

Otherwise Google suggests several sites that illustrate it, such as this
one:

http://richardhorwood.com/108/virtualbox-usb-from-the-command-line/

Wait: Have you installed the OSE version, or the closed source version?
You may need to also install the "Extension Pack". The USB
functionality is in there.The Extension Pack also has RDP and network boot.

Also, you really should try to install the "Guest Additions" if you
haven't already.

Archive: 5042EBD0.205@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/5042EBD0.205@allums.com

Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Mark Neidorff

On Sunday 02 September 2012 1:03:47 am T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I created my VirtualBox VM using the script from
> http://www.halfdog.net/Misc/TipsAndTricks/VirtualBox.html
>
> in which it adds USB support like this:
>
> # Add usb if needed
> vboxmanage modifyvm "${_setup_vboxName}" --usb on --usbehci on
>
> However, when I plug in an USB key in host, the VirtualBox VM guest
> doesn't see the USB key.
>
> What's the right way to config VirtualBox VM so that USB key in host can
> be accessed from within VM?

With the version I use, in the VB "launcher" there is a setup option for the
usb. Each new device (not port) that I want the guest to recognize has to be
defined in the config. It used to be very difficult to do, now it is much easier.
Have you defined the devices?

Mark

Old 09-02-2012, 02:01 PM
T o n g

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 00:17:04 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> Wait: Have you . . .

Thanks Mark, that is really a comprehensive answer.
Really appreciate it.