Old 01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
James Allsopp

Default No flamewar please!

Hi,
I'm using gnome but want to remove all traces of mono from my system, I've a clean install of Squeeze.

Can I,
*apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy

No offence, if you want to use it fine, but I'd like rid of it. Tried running with simulate and it seems to want to get rid of gnome too.

James **

Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Aioanei Rares

James Allsopp wrote:

Hi,
I'm using gnome but want to remove all traces of mono from my system,
I've a clean install of Squeeze.

Can I,
apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy

No offence, if you want to use it fine, but I'd like rid of it. Tried
running with simulate and it seems to want to get rid of gnome too.

James
Well, try the above command and see what packages it also wants to
uninstall, then decide if you need the deps or not.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 02:35:47PM +0000, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using gnome but want to remove all traces of mono from my system, I've a
> clean install of Squeeze.
>
> Can I,
> apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy
>
> No offence, if you want to use it fine, but I'd like rid of it. Tried
> running with simulate and it seems to want to get rid of gnome too.

when you say "get rid of gnome too", do you mean the meta-package,
gnome, that is used to pull in all the dependencies required to make
gnome work, or do you mean *all* of gnome?

If it's just the meta-package, then let it go, its purpose has already
been served.

If you want more help, you should post up the output of the above
command.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Brad Rogers

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:35:47 +0000
James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello James,

> No offence, if you want to use it fine, but I'd like rid of it. Tried
> running with simulate and it seems to want to get rid of gnome too.

Maybe it's just trying to remove the Gnome meta-package.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

I don't believe you have to be an idiot to get somewhere these days
Bombsite Boy - The Adverts

Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM
James Allsopp

Hi,
I'd like to keep Gnome if possible, but some of the libs it proposes removing sound critical. Here's the output anyway. Thanks.

James

Hawaiian:/home/ja#* apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree******
Reading state information... Done
* libpcsclite1 gtk2-engines-smooth planner dnsmasq-base update-notifier-common

* libmtp8 gthumb python-debian libaiksaurus-1.2-data libpolkit-dbus2
* libopenraw1 update-notifier gnome-volume-manager network-manager-gnome
* latex-xft-fonts link-grammar-dictionaries-en gdebi libgoffice-0-8 libots0

* gnome-app-install libpolkit-gnome0 libgpod-common policykit-gnome
* gthumb-data gparted cli-common rhythmbox abiword gnome-themes-extras
* evolution-exchange libpcap0.8 abiword-common transmission-gtk
* update-manager-gnome gdebi-core hal-cups-utils libgpod4 libpsiconv6

* transmission-common policykit update-manager-core abiword-plugin-grammar
* liblink-grammar4 arj network-manager epiphany-extensions binfmt-support
* libwv-1.2-3 libnm-glib-vpn0 libgdome2-0 python-sexy w3c-dtd-xhtml python-vte

* libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libpolkit-grant2 libgoffice-0-8-common
* libgtkmathview0c2a system-config-printer ppp abiword-plugin-mathview
* wpasupplicant python-gtkhtml2 gedit-plugins gnumeric-common liferea
* gnome-themes-more python-cups libopenrawgnome1 media-player-info gnumeric

* libdb4.6 liferea-data libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libabiword-2.8 gnome-office
* python-cupsutils libpolkit2 libgtkhtml2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a
The following packages will be REMOVED

* gnome* libart2.0-cil* libgconf2.0-cil* libglade2.0-cil* libglib2.0-cil*
* libgmime2.4-cil* libgnome-vfs2.0-cil* libgnome2.24-cil*
* libgnomepanel2.24-cil* libgtk2.0-cil* libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil*
* libmono-addins0.2-cil* libmono-cairo2.0-cil* libmono-corlib2.0-cil*

* libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil* libmono-posix2.0-cil* libmono-security2.0-cil*
* libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil* libmono-system2.0-cil* libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil*
* libndesk-dbus1.0-cil* mono-2.0-gac* mono-gac* mono-runtime* tomboy*

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 25 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 31.6MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Avi Greenbury

James Allsopp wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using gnome but want to remove all traces of mono from my system,
> I've a clean install of Squeeze.
>
> Can I,
> apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy
>
> No offence, if you want to use it fine, but I'd like rid of it. Tried
> running with simulate and it seems to want to get rid of gnome too.

As I recall, mono is part of the Gnome meta-package, so removal of
gnome requires the removal of package 'gnome'. This doesn't remove any
of the real packages that make up the Gnome DE, though (except those
that do require Mono, of which ISTR there are non-mono alternatives).

This is all based on heresay, though, I don't use Gnome and have never
uninstalled Mono.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 01-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Aioanei Rares

James Allsopp wrote:

Hi,
I'd like to keep Gnome if possible, but some of the libs it proposes
removing sound critical. Here's the output anyway. Thanks.

James

Hawaiian:/home/ja# apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime
tomboy

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:

<mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com>>

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 02:35:47PM +0000, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using gnome but want to remove all traces of mono from my
system, I've a
> clean install of Squeeze.
>
> Can I,
> apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy
>
> No offence, if you want to use it fine, but I'd like rid of it.
Tried
> running with simulate and it seems to want to get rid of gnome too.

when you say "get rid of gnome too", do you mean the meta-package,
gnome, that is used to pull in all the dependencies required to make
gnome work, or do you mean *all* of gnome?

If it's just the meta-package, then let it go, its purpose has already
been served.

If you want more help, you should post up the output of the above
command.

I'd say it's ok to press 'y' and go ahead, and then you can use the
autoremove feature if you so wish. But if you do not, you will have a
functional gnome desktop as you have before.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Avi Greenbury

James Allsopp wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to keep Gnome if possible, but some of the libs it proposes
> removing sound critical. Here's the output anyway. Thanks.
>
> James
>
> Hawaiian:/home/ja# apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime
> tomboy Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
> libpcsclite1 gtk2-engines-smooth planner dnsmasq-base
> update-notifier-common
> libmtp8 gthumb python-debian libaiksaurus-1.2-data libpolkit-dbus2
> libopenraw1 update-notifier gnome-volume-manager
> network-manager-gnome latex-xft-fonts link-grammar-dictionaries-en
> gdebi libgoffice-0-8 libots0 gnome-app-install libpolkit-gnome0
> libgpod-common policykit-gnome gthumb-data gparted cli-common
> rhythmbox abiword gnome-themes-extras evolution-exchange libpcap0.8
> abiword-common transmission-gtk update-manager-gnome gdebi-core
> hal-cups-utils libgpod4 libpsiconv6 transmission-common policykit
> update-manager-core abiword-plugin-grammar liblink-grammar4 arj
> network-manager epiphany-extensions binfmt-support libwv-1.2-3
> libnm-glib-vpn0 libgdome2-0 python-sexy w3c-dtd-xhtml python-vte
> libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libpolkit-grant2 libgoffice-0-8-common
> libgtkmathview0c2a system-config-printer ppp abiword-plugin-mathview
> wpasupplicant python-gtkhtml2 gedit-plugins gnumeric-common liferea
> gnome-themes-more python-cups libopenrawgnome1 media-player-info
> gnumeric libdb4.6 liferea-data libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libabiword-2.8
> gnome-office python-cupsutils libpolkit2 libgtkhtml2-0
> libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

The above will not be uninstalled unless you run
apt-get autoremove

They were installed because the meta-package 'gnome' depended upon them.
'gnome' also depends on mono, so in removing mono you must remove
gnome. Now that nothing depends on them, apt* reckons they're no longer
required, but because you've not specifically told it to uninstall them
it will not remove them.

> The following packages will be REMOVED
> gnome* libart2.0-cil* libgconf2.0-cil* libglade2.0-cil*
> libglib2.0-cil* libgmime2.4-cil* libgnome-vfs2.0-cil*
> libgnome2.24-cil* libgnomepanel2.24-cil* libgtk2.0-cil*
> libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil* libmono-addins0.2-cil*
> libmono-cairo2.0-cil* libmono-corlib2.0-cil*
> libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil* libmono-posix2.0-cil*
> libmono-security2.0-cil* libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil*
> libmono-system2.0-cil* libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil*
> libndesk-dbus1.0-cil* mono-2.0-gac* mono-gac* mono-runtime* tomboy* 0
> upgraded, 0 newly installed, 25 to remove and 0 not upgraded. After
> this operation, 31.6MB disk space will be freed. Do you want to
> continue [Y/n]? n Abort.

These are mono libs and applications, and must be removed since they
depend upon mono.
GNote is a non-mono replacement for Tomboy.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 01-12-2010, 02:24 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to keep Gnome if possible, but some of the libs it proposes
> removing sound critical. Here's the output anyway. Thanks.
>
> James
>
> Hawaiian:/home/ja# apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
> libpcsclite1 gtk2-engines-smooth planner dnsmasq-base
> update-notifier-common
> libmtp8 gthumb python-debian libaiksaurus-1.2-data libpolkit-dbus2
> libopenraw1 update-notifier gnome-volume-manager network-manager-gnome
> latex-xft-fonts link-grammar-dictionaries-en gdebi libgoffice-0-8 libots0
> gnome-app-install libpolkit-gnome0 libgpod-common policykit-gnome
> gthumb-data gparted cli-common rhythmbox abiword gnome-themes-extras
> evolution-exchange libpcap0.8 abiword-common transmission-gtk
> update-manager-gnome gdebi-core hal-cups-utils libgpod4 libpsiconv6
> transmission-common policykit update-manager-core abiword-plugin-grammar
> liblink-grammar4 arj network-manager epiphany-extensions binfmt-support
> libwv-1.2-3 libnm-glib-vpn0 libgdome2-0 python-sexy w3c-dtd-xhtml
> python-vte
> libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libpolkit-grant2 libgoffice-0-8-common
> libgtkmathview0c2a system-config-printer ppp abiword-plugin-mathview
> wpasupplicant python-gtkhtml2 gedit-plugins gnumeric-common liferea
> gnome-themes-more python-cups libopenrawgnome1 media-player-info gnumeric
> libdb4.6 liferea-data libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libabiword-2.8 gnome-office
> python-cupsutils libpolkit2 libgtkhtml2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> The following packages will be REMOVED
> gnome* libart2.0-cil* libgconf2.0-cil* libglade2.0-cil* libglib2.0-cil*
> libgmime2.4-cil* libgnome-vfs2.0-cil* libgnome2.24-cil*
> libgnomepanel2.24-cil* libgtk2.0-cil* libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil*
> libmono-addins0.2-cil* libmono-cairo2.0-cil* libmono-corlib2.0-cil*
> libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil* libmono-posix2.0-cil* libmono-security2.0-cil*
> libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil* libmono-system2.0-cil*
> libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil*
> libndesk-dbus1.0-cil* mono-2.0-gac* mono-gac* mono-runtime* tomboy*
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 25 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> After this operation, 31.6MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
> Abort.

Hi, I am running mono-free too, just removed all "mono" and "-cli"
packages (at the cost of tomboy and f-spot), and marked as manually
installed what I really *needed* inside the "gnome" meta-package, then
happily ditched the meta-package itself. I am using Aptitude, if it matters.

Have fun.