Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 AM
hadi motamedi

Default Debian dump&restore?

Dear All
Can you please confirm if the following scenario works for making my client and server as identical ?
My local(source)*Debian server @192.168.0.2

My remote*Debian client @192.168.0.70
On the local system :
#df -m
Filesystem Mounted on
/dev/hda3 /
/dev/hda1 /boot
tmpfs /dev/shm
On the local system , issue the followings to make client and server as identical :

#dump -0uvf - /dev/hda3 | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /"
#dump -0uvf - /dev/hda1 | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /boot"

#dump -0uvf - /dev/shm | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /tmpfs"
Can you please confirm if my understanding is right or not?
Thank you
*

Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Javier Barroso

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please confirm if the following scenario works for making my client
> and server as identical ?
> My local(source)*Debian server @192.168.0.2
> My remote*Debian client @192.168.0.70
> On the local system :
> #df -m
> Filesystem Mounted on
> /dev/hda3 /
> /dev/hda1 /boot
> tmpfs /dev/shm
> On the local system , issue the followings to make client and server as
> identical :
> #dump -0uvf - /dev/hda3 | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /"
> #dump -0uvf - /dev/hda1 | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /boot"
> #dump -0uvf - /dev/shm | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /tmpfs"
> Can you please confirm if my understanding is right or not?

If you want a block device copy, I would boot with a live cd (or from
network), and then start a ssh server and dump partitions with cat:

cat /dev/hda | ssh root@client "cat > /dev/hda"

In an running system I doubt you can use dump in such case, but maybe
I am wrong, of course.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
hadi motamedi

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please confirm if the following scenario works for making my client

> and server as identical ?
> My local(source)*Debian server @192.168.0.2
> My remote*Debian client @192.168.0.70

> On the local system :
> #df -m
> Filesystem Mounted on
> /dev/hda3 /
> /dev/hda1 /boot
> tmpfs /dev/shm
> On the local system , issue the followings to make client and server as

> identical :
> #dump -0uvf - /dev/hda3 | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /"
> #dump -0uvf - /dev/hda1 | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /boot"

> #dump -0uvf - /dev/shm | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /tmpfs"
> Can you please confirm if my understanding is right or not?

If you want a block device copy, I would boot with a live cd (or from

network), and then start a ssh server and dump partitions with cat:

cat /dev/hda *| ssh root@client "cat > /dev/hda"

In an running system I doubt you can use dump in such case, but maybe
I am wrong, of course.

*
Thank you for your reply . Can you please let me know doing the same way as your procedure will make the server & client the same ? Please be informed that I don't have some of the application packages that are being installed on my server . To this end , I want to make my server and client the same but without the need to have that application packages at hand .

*

Old 01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Stan Hoeppner

hadi motamedi put forth on 1/12/2010 4:53 AM:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Dear All
>>> Can you please confirm if the following scenario works for making my
>> client
>>> and server as identical ?
>>> My local(source) Debian server @192.168.0.2
>>> My remote Debian client @192.168.0.70
>>> On the local system :
>>> #df -m
>>> Filesystem Mounted on
>>> /dev/hda3 /
>>> /dev/hda1 /boot
>>> tmpfs /dev/shm
>>> On the local system , issue the followings to make client and server as
>>> identical :
>>> #dump -0uvf - /dev/hda3 | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /"
>>> #dump -0uvf - /dev/hda1 | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /boot"
>>> #dump -0uvf - /dev/shm | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /tmpfs"
>>> Can you please confirm if my understanding is right or not?
>>
>> If you want a block device copy, I would boot with a live cd (or from
>> network), and then start a ssh server and dump partitions with cat:
>>
>> cat /dev/hda | ssh root@client "cat > /dev/hda"
>>
>> In an running system I doubt you can use dump in such case, but maybe
>> I am wrong, of course.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> --
>>

> Thank you for your reply . Can you please let me know doing the same way as
> your procedure will make the server & client the same ? Please be informed
> that I don't have some of the application packages that are being installed
> on my server . To this end , I want to make my server and client the same
> but without the need to have that application packages at hand .

I don't think we understand what you want. Tell us what you are wanting to
accomplish, what your goal is. Maybe then we can help you. From what I've seen
thus far, it doesn't sound like copying entire partitions from one machine to
another is what you should really be doing. All that will do is exactly clone
the disk of the server onto the client. That will break many things, not first
of which you'll have two computers on the same subnet with the same IP address
and hostname.

--
Stan

Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> :
> #dump -0uvf - /dev/hda3 | ssh root@192.168.0.70 -c "restore -rf - /"

If the running system is not on read-only, you could have problem.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 01-13-2010, 03:56 AM
hadi motamedi