FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Carsten Fortmann
 
Default ethernet card not found during etch-installation

From: Carsten Fortmann <carsten.fortmann@uni-rostock.de>
To: debian.user@lists.debian.org
Subject: ethernet driver not found during install

Dear All,
I tried to install debian 4.0 rc2 on a dell xps m1330 notebook.
When the install script scans for the network device
I get an error
message, saying that no ethernet device is found, only a firewire device
and asks me weather i want to use this.
i say no and now comes a list with lots of ethernet drivers, i choose
tg3, bcause my ethernet card is a Broadcom (C) NetLink BCM5906M
fast ethernet PCIExpress (rev 02) (that's what i get from lspci | grep
Broadcom in my already installed ubuntu).
however, this does not help, i'm allways redirected to the screen that
tells me, that no ethernet card is found.
i go to the shell then and
~ # lspci | grep Broadcom
and voila,

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corp. Unknown device 1713 (rev 02).

Why is the card not recognized correcly?

Can someone help or redirect me?

Do you need more hw details?

Thanx, Carsten


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default ethernet card not found during etch-installation

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:11:16 +0100, Carsten Fortmann wrote:
> Dear All,
> I tried to install debian 4.0 rc2 on a dell xps m1330 notebook.
> When the install script scans for the network device
> I get an error
> message, saying that no ethernet device is found, only a firewire device
> and asks me weather i want to use this.
> i say no and now comes a list with lots of ethernet drivers, i choose
> tg3, bcause my ethernet card is a Broadcom (C) NetLink BCM5906M
> fast ethernet PCIExpress (rev 02) (that's what i get from lspci | grep
> Broadcom in my already installed ubuntu).
> however, this does not help, i'm allways redirected to the screen that
> tells me, that no ethernet card is found.
> i go to the shell then and
> ~ # lspci | grep Broadcom
> and voila,
>
> 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corp. Unknown device 1713 (rev 02).
>
> Why is the card not recognized correcly?

It seems that support for the 5906 series was added to the tg3 driver on
2006-09-27 [1]. Etch ships with the 2.6.18 kernel, which was released a
few days before that date [2]. My guess is that you will need a newer
kernel or at least a newer version of the driver.

[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.23.y.git;a=commit;h=b5d3772ccbe0bc5ac8ffbb5356 b74ca698aee28c
[2] http://kerneltrap.org/node/7144

> Can someone help or redirect me?

You could try to use Kenshi Muto's custom Etch installer images; they
come with newer kernels:

http://mirror.home-dn.net/d-i/

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Carsten Fortmann
 
Default ethernet card not found during etch-installation

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 08:32:40PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:11:16 +0100, Carsten Fortmann wrote:
> > Dear All,
> > I tried to install debian 4.0 rc2 on a dell xps m1330 notebook.
> > When the install script scans for the network device
> > I get an error
> > message, saying that no ethernet device is found, only a firewire device
> > and asks me weather i want to use this.
> > i say no and now comes a list with lots of ethernet drivers, i choose
> > tg3, bcause my ethernet card is a Broadcom (C) NetLink BCM5906M
> > fast ethernet PCIExpress (rev 02) (that's what i get from lspci | grep
> > Broadcom in my already installed ubuntu).
> > however, this does not help, i'm allways redirected to the screen that
> > tells me, that no ethernet card is found.
> > i go to the shell then and
> > ~ # lspci | grep Broadcom
> > and voila,
> >
> > 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corp. Unknown device 1713 (rev 02).
> >
> > Why is the card not recognized correcly?
>
> It seems that support for the 5906 series was added to the tg3 driver on
> 2006-09-27 [1]. Etch ships with the 2.6.18 kernel, which was released a
> few days before that date [2]. My guess is that you will need a newer
> kernel or at least a newer version of the driver.
>
> [1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.23.y.git;a=commit;h=b5d3772ccbe0bc5ac8ffbb5356 b74ca698aee28c
> [2] http://kerneltrap.org/node/7144
>
> > Can someone help or redirect me?
>
> You could try to use Kenshi Muto's custom Etch installer images; they
> come with newer kernels:
>
> http://mirror.home-dn.net/d-i/
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |
>
>
> --

Hi Florian,
thank you for your response.
Anyway, this was not the solution. I downloaded the image with kernel
2.6.21 from
http://mirror.home-dn.net/d-i/2.6.21/etch-custom-0720.iso

Now, coming to the nic part to the installation, I was presented two
ethernet cards to chose from.
eth0 Ricoh unknown device (did not know that i have one ...)
and
eth1 Broadcom unknown device 1713

I tried to configure both of them manually and also specified the dns
server. usually, install then get's the correct hostname via dns. not in
this case. so i guess, the correct drivers are still missing.
Maybe I'll try the 2.6.23 kernel tomorrow, just to find out.

Cheers,
Carsten



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default ethernet card not found during etch-installation

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 22:15:37 +0100, Carsten Fortmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 08:32:40PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:11:16 +0100, Carsten Fortmann wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > > I tried to install debian 4.0 rc2 on a dell xps m1330 notebook.
> > > When the install script scans for the network device
> > > I get an error
> > > message, saying that no ethernet device is found, only a firewire device
> > > and asks me weather i want to use this.
> > > i say no and now comes a list with lots of ethernet drivers, i choose
> > > tg3, bcause my ethernet card is a Broadcom (C) NetLink BCM5906M
> > > fast ethernet PCIExpress (rev 02) (that's what i get from lspci | grep
> > > Broadcom in my already installed ubuntu).
> > > however, this does not help, i'm allways redirected to the screen that
> > > tells me, that no ethernet card is found.
> > > i go to the shell then and
> > > ~ # lspci | grep Broadcom
> > > and voila,
> > >
> > > 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corp. Unknown device 1713 (rev 02).
> > >
> > > Why is the card not recognized correcly?
> >
> > It seems that support for the 5906 series was added to the tg3 driver on
> > 2006-09-27 [1]. Etch ships with the 2.6.18 kernel, which was released a
> > few days before that date [2]. My guess is that you will need a newer
> > kernel or at least a newer version of the driver.

[...]

> Hi Florian,
> thank you for your response.
> Anyway, this was not the solution. I downloaded the image with kernel
> 2.6.21 from
> http://mirror.home-dn.net/d-i/2.6.21/etch-custom-0720.iso
>
> Now, coming to the nic part to the installation, I was presented two
> ethernet cards to chose from.
> eth0 Ricoh unknown device (did not know that i have one ...)
> and
> eth1 Broadcom unknown device 1713
>
> I tried to configure both of them manually and also specified the dns
> server. usually, install then get's the correct hostname via dns. not in
> this case. so i guess, the correct drivers are still missing.
> Maybe I'll try the 2.6.23 kernel tomorrow, just to find out.

Do you see any messages related to the tg3 driver in the syslog or the
dmesg output? Can you "modprobe -v tg3"?

It seems that Kenshi's images have the old usr/share/misc/pci.ids, which
might explain why it is still referred to as "unknown device 1713".
However, this should not keep the 2.6.23 version of the tg3 driver from
recognizing the card since it has its own list of PCI-IDs.

I am starting to suspect that your problem might be caused by missing
firmware. AFAIK, all binary firmware blobs were recently removed from
the version of tg3.c that is distributed by Debian. (The kernel.org
version of tg3.c has about 850 additional lines, mostly hex chunks.)

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:52 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org