Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Default USB audio adapter

I am interested to buy a USB audio adapter.
The C-Media based adapter which came with
an Altec-Lansing headset works well but I
prefer to buy an adapter without a headset.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive adapter
which works in Debian?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop"

Old 01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Stefan Monnier

> I am interested to buy a USB audio adapter.
> The C-Media based adapter which came with
> an Altec-Lansing headset works well but I
> prefer to buy an adapter without a headset.
> Does anyone know of an inexpensive adapter
> which works in Debian?

Most/all of the cheap adapters work.

Stefan

Old 01-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Javier Vasquez

On 1/13/10, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> I am interested to buy a USB audio adapter.
>> The C-Media based adapter which came with
>> an Altec-Lansing headset works well but I
>> prefer to buy an adapter without a headset.
>> Does anyone know of an inexpensive adapter
>> which works in Debian?
>
> Most/all of the cheap adapters work.
>

> Stefan

If you want cheap that works, then the following one is the one I
acquired and liked...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019SVUQK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

--
Javier.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Stefan Monnier

>>> I am interested to buy a USB audio adapter.
>>> The C-Media based adapter which came with
>>> an Altec-Lansing headset works well but I
>>> prefer to buy an adapter without a headset.
>>> Does anyone know of an inexpensive adapter
>>> which works in Debian?
>> Most/all of the cheap adapters work.
> If you want cheap that works, then the following one is the one I
> acquired and liked...
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019SVUQK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Pretty much all the ones I found seem equivalent. The main problem with
them is that they only support 48KHz sampling rate, so when you try to
play songs ripped from a CD (i.e. 44.1KHz sampling rate), a resampling
step needs to take place, which can lead to nasty distortion if the
software does it naively. In my case I resampled all my Vorbis files
offline with Gstreamer, so I don't have to worry about whether or not
the player I end up using does resampling right (e.g. ALSA can do
resampling internally, but it tends to do it naively).

Stefan