Old 01-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Albretch Mueller

Default dependency hell + I want to keep deb installation files local ...

... in order to update them from a local drive in the future if I need to
~
I recently went:
~
apt-get update
Ign http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org ./ Release.gpg
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org stable Release.gpg
Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing Release.gpg [835B]
Get:43 http://ftp.de.debian.org experimental/non-free Packages [1120B]
Fetched 19.3MB in 1min 51s (174kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
~
and
~
apt-get -d -o Dir::Cache::Archives=<local directory path> upgrade
root@Microknoppix:~# apt-get -d -o
Dir::Cache::Archives="/media/sda2/inst/sw/deb/arc" upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
282 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 85 not upgraded.
Need to get 355MB of archives.
After this operation, 13.0MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main libexpat1
2.0.1-4+lenny3 [132kB]
Get:282 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main tftpd-hpa 5.0-10
[43.6kB]
Fetched 355MB in 34min 4s (174kB/s)
Download complete and in download only mode
root@Microknoppix:~#
~
then I editted /etc/apt/sorce.list leaving as the only uncommented line:
~
deb file://<local directory path> stable main contrib non-free
~
so that all files are grabbed from there
~
I did install the flashplayer plugin for firefox by going
~
# dpkg --install libnspr4-dev_4.7.1-5_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package libnspr4-dev.
(Reading database ... 88316 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libnspr4-dev (from libnspr4-dev_4.7.1-5_i386.deb) ...
Setting up libnspr4-dev (4.7.1-5) ...
~
# dpkg --install install_flash_player_10_linux.deb
(Reading database ... 88419 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace adobe-flashplugin 10.0.42.34-1 (using
install_flash_player_10_linux.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement adobe-flashplugin ...
Setting up adobe-flashplugin (10.0.42.34-1) ...
~
because it only depended on a single dev package no depth or
conflicting dependency ramifications
~
Of course I knew I wasn't going to be that lucky with Kdevelop, Kate,
Openoffice, ... ;-)
~
I need to:
~
1) use apt-get and let it handle all dependencies and
~
2) somehow make apt-get leave all downloaded deb archives in the
<local directory path> I have
~
How can you do that?
~
Thank you
lbrtchx
~

Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-11 at 14:59:19 -0500, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> I need to:
> ~
> 1) use apt-get and let it handle all dependencies and
> ~
> 2) somehow make apt-get leave all downloaded deb archives in the
> <local directory path> I have
> ~
> How can you do that?

I feel inadequate to respond to this post, but perhaps I can
at least give a partial answer. I hope someone else who is more
knowledgeable than I am in this area (which doesn't take much)
can give a better answer. But here goes.

I usually use a combination of "dselect update" and
"aptitude -R full-upgrade" to perform an upgrade. I prefer "dselect update"
over "apt-get update" or "aptitude update" because it downloads package
descriptions for all available packages, not just installed packages.
I can then use, for example,

dpkg-query -p xxx|less

where xxx is the name of any package, installed or not, and view its
description. I use aptitude rather than apt-get to perform the upgrade
because it seems to be much better at resolving complex package
dependency relationships than apt-get. The -R option prevents
recommended packages from being treated as prerequisites. As for
keeping the downloaded package files, (.deb files), downloaded packages
are kept by default in /var/cache/apt/archives. If you run

aptitude clean

before you start, then all the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives
will be from your most recent run and you can copy them wherever you
want afterwards. There are two caveats, however. (1) package files
read from CD or DVD are not downloaded to the package cache directory
first: they are installed directly from the CD or DVD. Therefore,
make sure that your /etc/apt/sources.list file does not contain any
CD or DVD entries, and (2) You must make sure that the partition
which contains the package cache directory does not get low on disk
space during the upgrade. Otherwise aptitude might attempt a partial
cleanup of the package cache during the upgrade. In other words,
it might erase package files that have already been installed to
prevent a "disk full" condition.

I hope this helps. Maybe someone else can provide you with a better
answer.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-12 at 06:33:14 -0500, Clive Standbridge wrote:
> apt-get/aptitude update do retrieve the package descriptions. You can
> view them with e.g.
> apt-cache show xxx

I'm not in a position to test this right now, but I seem to remember that
when I used "apt-get update" or "aptitude update" that "dpkg-query -l"
would only list installed packages and that "dpkg-query -p xxx", where xxx
is a package name, would fail for a package that is not installed. With
"dselect update", "dpkg-query -l" would list all packages, installed or
not (the installed ones would have an install status of "ii") and
"dpkg-query -p xxx" would work for any package in the archive, installed
or not. I don't remember if I tested "apt-cache search" in this scenario,
but I use it less often than dpkg-query.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Sjoerd Hardeman

apt-get/aptitude update do retrieve the package descriptions. You can
view them with e.g.
apt-cache show xxx

I'm not in a position to test this right now, but I seem to remember that
when I used "apt-get update" or "aptitude update" that "dpkg-query -l"
would only list installed packages and that "dpkg-query -p xxx", where xxx
is a package name, would fail for a package that is not installed. With
"dselect update", "dpkg-query -l" would list all packages, installed or
not (the installed ones would have an install status of "ii") and
"dpkg-query -p xxx" would work for any package in the archive, installed
or not. I don't remember if I tested "apt-cache search" in this scenario,
but I use it less often than dpkg-query.
I don't know how to do it with apt-cache, but to find all installed
packages with aptitude is easy:

aptitude search ~i
then
aptitude show packagename
will show package information, both for installed and not-installed
packages.

Sjoerd

Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-12 at 10:28:48 -0500, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> I don't know how to do it with apt-cache, but to find all installed
> packages with aptitude is easy:
> aptitude search ~i
> then
> aptitude show packagename
> will show package information, both for installed and not-installed
> packages.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Albretch Mueller

~
I am benefiting from your comments, but I was originally thinking
about a directory/file-based approach which apt-get seems to be
capable of and source.list documents
~
I would like to just carry my external drive, plug it in and do my
thing. You are not supposed to be setting up servers in networks you
don't own. "Simplicity" is not only good in a spiritual/Franciscan
way. There should always be venues for it
~
Why is it that apparently this doesn't seem to be a popular idea in
the debian community/culture? Don't they like it? Why not?
~
I have searched for this way of doing things and either people
apparently don't do things this way or they don't talk about it
~
Thanks
lbrtchx

Old 01-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Albretch Mueller

~
... I editted /etc/apt/sources.list
~
// __ http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html
~
2.2 How to use APT locally
Sometimes you have lots of packages .deb that you would like to use
APT to install so that the dependencies would be automatically solved.
To do that create a directory and put the .debs you want to index in
it . For example:
# mkdir /root/debs
You may modify the definitions set on the package's control file
directly for your repository using an override file. Inside this file
you may want to define some options to override the ones that come
with the package. It looks like follows:
package priority section
package is the name of the package, priority is low, medium or high
and section is the section to which it belongs. The file name does not
matter, you'll have to pass it as an argument for dpkg-scanpackages
later. If you do not want to write an override file, just use
/dev/null. when calling dpkg-scanpackages.
Still in the /root directory do:
# dpkg-scanpackages debs file | gzip > debs/Packages.gz
In the above line, file is the override file, the command generates a
file Packages.gz that contains various information about the packages,
which are used by APT. To use the packages, finally, add:
deb file:/root debs/
After that just use the APT commands as usual. You may also generate
a sources repository. To do that use the same procedure, but remember
that you need to have the files .orig.tar.gz, .dsc and .diff.gz in the
directory and you have to use Sources.gz instead of Packages.gz. The
program used is also different. It is dpkg-scansources. The command
line will look like this:
# dpkg-scansources debs | gzip > debs/Sources.gz
Notice that dpkg-scansources doesn't need an override file. The
sources.list's line is:
deb-src file:/root debs/
~
that doc (apparently in whole) has been tagged as OBSOLETE yet that
worked for me
~
lbrtchx

Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 04:23:34PM +0000, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I would like to just carry my external drive, plug it in and do my
> thing. You are not supposed to be setting up servers in networks you
> don't own. "Simplicity" is not only good in a spiritual/Franciscan
> way. There should always be venues for it

I'm a little unclear on what you're trying to do, but are you looking
for something like apt-zip?

Daniel

Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Chris Bannister

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 07:49:28AM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 04:23:34PM +0000, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> > I would like to just carry my external drive, plug it in and do my
> > thing. You are not supposed to be setting up servers in networks you
> > don't own. "Simplicity" is not only good in a spiritual/Franciscan
> > way. There should always be venues for it
>
> I'm a little unclear on what you're trying to do, but are you looking
> for something like apt-zip?

Or apt-offline. Works. apt-zip didn't do what I wanted the way I wanted.

--
Chris.