Old 01-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Paul Scott

Default Ubuntu 8.10 sees my home partition, sid of Dec. 25 doesn't

Sorry for reposting but my home system is effectively unusable.

Late on Dec. 25 I rebooted my sid system and my home directory is no
longer visible to my system even to Grub. It contains my home
directory. An Ubuntu 8.10 live CD sees it just fine. I normally keep
everything updated unless apt-listbugs shows.

FWIW it's /dev/hda10 on a 40GB drive. The / directory which is
/dev/hda9 is completely visible and boots just fine.

Is anyone aware of any changes at that time that would cause this?

Any diagnostic ideas?

TIA,

Paul Scott

Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:12:19AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Sorry for reposting but my home system is effectively unusable.
>
> Late on Dec. 25 I rebooted my sid system and my home directory is no
> longer visible to my system even to Grub. It contains my home
> directory. An Ubuntu 8.10 live CD sees it just fine. I normally keep
> everything updated unless apt-listbugs shows.
>
> FWIW it's /dev/hda10 on a 40GB drive. The / directory which is
> /dev/hda9 is completely visible and boots just fine.
>
> Is anyone aware of any changes at that time that would cause this?
>
> Any diagnostic ideas?

What do you mean by "doesn't see"? no device or no filesystem?

What does fdisk say?

~# fdisk -l

Which filesystem does on it?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Mark

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:12:19AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

> Sorry for reposting but my home system is effectively unusable.

> Late on Dec. 25 I rebooted my sid system and my home directory is no

> longer visible to my system even to Grub. *It contains my home

> directory. *An Ubuntu 8.10 live CD sees it just fine. *I normally keep

> everything updated unless apt-listbugs shows.

> FWIW it's /dev/hda10 on a 40GB drive. *The / directory which is

> /dev/hda9 is completely visible and boots just fine.

> Is anyone aware of any changes at that time that would cause this?

> Any diagnostic ideas?

I had a similar problem not too long ago and used cfdisk to rebuild the partition table; somehow it got messed up and cfdisk fixed it, via using an Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD.* Might be worth looking into for you.* I think it worked because Ubuntu recognized the partitions, so it was able to rebuild the partition table based on sector locations of partitions it recognized.* Just a guess though, that's getting beyond my realm of knowledge.

Mark

Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM
"Waterhorse"

Good point! - No device.

> What does fdisk say?

I'm replying right now from the Ubuntu system. I'll reboot soon and answer that. A problem with this broken system is my current setup is blasting my virtual terminals with iptables messages.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Paul Scott

Sorry for reposting but my home system is effectively unusable.

Late on Dec. 25 I rebooted my sid system and my home directory is no
longer visible to my system even to Grub. It contains my home
directory. An Ubuntu 8.10 live CD sees it just fine. I normally keep
everything updated unless apt-listbugs shows.

FWIW it's /dev/hda10 on a 40GB drive. The / directory which is
/dev/hda9 is completely visible and boots just fine.

Is anyone aware of any changes at that time that would cause this?

Any diagnostic ideas?

What do you mean by "doesn't see"? no device or no filesystem?

Good point! - No device.

What does fdisk say?

I'm replying right now from the Ubuntu system. I'll reboot soon and answer that. A problem with this broken system is my current setup is blasting my virtual terminals with iptables messages.

Oops! fdisk -l does see /dev/hda10 as Linux

fsck /dev/hda10 says:

The superblock could not be read ...

e2fsck -b 8193 says the same.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Paul Scott

Mark wrote:

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:12:19AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> Sorry for reposting but my home system is effectively unusable.
>
> Late on Dec. 25 I rebooted my sid system and my home directory is no
> longer visible to my system even to Grub. It contains my home
> directory. An Ubuntu 8.10 live CD sees it just fine. I normally keep
> everything updated unless apt-listbugs shows.
>
> FWIW it's /dev/hda10 on a 40GB drive. The / directory which is
> /dev/hda9 is completely visible and boots just fine.
>
> Is anyone aware of any changes at that time that would cause this?
>
> Any diagnostic ideas?

I had a similar problem not too long ago and used cfdisk to rebuild
the partition table; somehow it got messed up and cfdisk fixed it, via
using an Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD. Might be worth looking into for you. I
think it worked because Ubuntu recognized the partitions, so it was
able to rebuild the partition table based on sector locations of
partitions it recognized. Just a guess though, that's getting beyond
my realm of knowledge.

Thanks, Mark.

I won't rule this out but it seems that my partition table *might* be Ok
since both my sick system and Ubuntu both see the Partition as a "Linux"
partition. Hopefully someone will comment if my logic is weak.

Paul

Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
green

Paul Scott wrote at 2010-01-11 11:12 -0600:
> Late on Dec. 25 I rebooted my sid system and my home directory is no
> longer visible to my system even to Grub. It contains my home
> directory. An Ubuntu 8.10 live CD sees it just fine. I normally keep
> everything updated unless apt-listbugs shows.
>
> FWIW it's /dev/hda10 on a 40GB drive. The / directory which is
> /dev/hda9 is completely visible and boots just fine.
>
> Is anyone aware of any changes at that time that would cause this?
>
> Any diagnostic ideas?

What filesystem is it?
What is the output of 'mount /dev/hda10' on the sid system?
Try running 'fsck /dev/hda10' on the Ubuntu system.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Paul Scott

green wrote:

Late on Dec. 25 I rebooted my sid system and my home directory is no
longer visible to my system even to Grub. It contains my home
directory. An Ubuntu 8.10 live CD sees it just fine. I normally keep
everything updated unless apt-listbugs shows.

FWIW it's /dev/hda10 on a 40GB drive. The / directory which is
/dev/hda9 is completely visible and boots just fine.

Is anyone aware of any changes at that time that would cause this?

Any diagnostic ideas?

What filesystem is it?

ext2 (maybe ext3 but I don't think so)

What is the output of 'mount /dev/hda10' on the sid system?

mount: special device /dev/hda10 does not exist

Just before that on the screen from booting is:

[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /home] fsck.ext3 -a -C0 /dev/hda10
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda10
/dev/hda10:
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -r 8193 <device>

fsck died with exit status 8
File system check failed. A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs
if that

location is writable. Please repair the file system manually. ... failed!

Try running 'fsck /dev/hda10' on the Ubuntu system.

/dev/sda10: clean, 60498/507904 files, 852048/1014095 blocks

Thanks,

Paul

Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 AM
green

Paul Scott wrote at 2010-01-12 12:50 -0600:
> green wrote:
> >What filesystem is it?
> ext2 (maybe ext3 but I don't think so)
> >What is the output of 'mount /dev/hda10' on the sid system?
> mount: special device /dev/hda10 does not exist

This means the device node in /dev for that partition does not exist.

> Just before that on the screen from booting is:
>
> [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /home] fsck.ext3 -a -C0 /dev/hda10
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda10
> /dev/hda10:
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> e2fsck -r 8193 <device>
>
> fsck died with exit status 8
> File system check failed. A log is being saved in
> /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that
> location is writable. Please repair the file system manually. ... failed!
>
> >Try running 'fsck /dev/hda10' on the Ubuntu system.
> /dev/sda10: clean, 60498/507904 files, 852048/1014095 blocks

It is interesting if you actually ran 'fsck /dev/hda10' and got output for
/dev/sda10 (h versus s).

I don't recall seeing the output of 'fdisk -l' on the sid system; perhaps it
would list disk sda instead of hda.

Try 'mount /dev/sda10 /home' on the sid system. If that works, change hda10 in
/etc/fstab to sda10.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Paul Scott

green wrote:

What is the output of 'mount /dev/hda10' on the sid system?

mount: special device /dev/hda10 does not exist

This means the device node in /dev for that partition does not exist.

Clear.

Just before that on the screen from booting is:

[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /home] fsck.ext3 -a -C0 /dev/hda10
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda10
/dev/hda10:
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -r 8193 <device>

fsck died with exit status 8
File system check failed. A log is being saved in
/var/log/fsck/checkfs if that
location is writable. Please repair the file system manually. ... failed!

Try running 'fsck /dev/hda10' on the Ubuntu system.

/dev/sda10: clean, 60498/507904 files, 852048/1014095 blocks

It is interesting if you actually ran 'fsck /dev/hda10' and got output for
/dev/sda10 (h versus s).

I didn't run fsck on /dev/hda10 on Ubuntu. I was aware that somewhere
'hd' has been changed to 'sd' at least in Ubuntu so I ran

fsck /dev/sda10

I don't recall seeing the output of 'fdisk -l' on the sid system; perhaps it
would list disk sda instead of hda.

Try 'mount /dev/sda10 /home' on the sid system. If that works, change hda10 in
/etc/fstab to sda10.

There is no /dev/sda10 in my sid system. I verified this with:

ls /dev/sd and [tab]

Thanks,

Paul