Old 01-11-2010, 02:53 PM
michael

Default current debian/lenny (stable) support for various RAID chipsets

Folks, I'm wondering where best to find out if Debian Lenny has support
for the SATA/RAID chipsets on my Asus A8V Deluxe mobo, specifically the
Promise PDC20378 and VIA VT8237 controllers? I'd date to buy a new SATA
disk and find I can't use it! Please let me know if I've missed out any
vital info
Thanks, Michael

Old 01-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:53:05 +0000, michael wrote:

> Folks, I'm wondering where best to find out if Debian Lenny has support
> for the SATA/RAID chipsets on my Asus A8V Deluxe mobo, specifically the
> Promise PDC20378 and VIA VT8237 controllers? I'd date to buy a new SATA
> disk and find I can't use it! Please let me know if I've missed out any
> vital info

Not specific for Debian, but you have a list of sata raid chipsets and
their status in this page:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Side note: if you are considering mounting a RAID system, I would avoid
using the so-called "fakeraid" chipsets (BIOS/RAID and driver -or dm-
dependendant) and better go with a pure linux software raid (md).

Another good option should be acquiring a real hardware raid card but
they are a bit expensive.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
michael

On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 16:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:53:05 +0000, michael wrote:
>
> > Folks, I'm wondering where best to find out if Debian Lenny has support
> > for the SATA/RAID chipsets on my Asus A8V Deluxe mobo, specifically the
> > Promise PDC20378 and VIA VT8237 controllers? I'd date to buy a new SATA
> > disk and find I can't use it! Please let me know if I've missed out any
> > vital info
>
> Not specific for Debian, but you have a list of sata raid chipsets and
> their status in this page:
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
>
> Side note: if you are considering mounting a RAID system, I would avoid
> using the so-called "fakeraid" chipsets (BIOS/RAID and driver -or dm-
> dependendant) and better go with a pure linux software raid (md).
>
> Another good option should be acquiring a real hardware raid card but
> they are a bit expensive.
>
> Greetings,
Camaleon, many thanks for the reply. Looks like the PROMISE one may be
problematic but the VIA one okay (is that correct reading?). Note that
at the moment I'm thinking of just using a single SATA (ie no RAID) but
these seem to be the controllers so I'm presuming I need them to work
okay! Thanks, Michael

Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:10:20 +0000, michael wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 16:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Side note: if you are considering mounting a RAID system, I would avoid
>> using the so-called "fakeraid" chipsets (BIOS/RAID and driver -or dm-
>> dependendant) and better go with a pure linux software raid (md).
>>
>> Another good option should be acquiring a real hardware raid card but
>> they are a bit expensive.
>>
>> Greetings,
> Camaleon, many thanks for the reply. Looks like the PROMISE one may be
> problematic but the VIA one okay (is that correct reading?).

I'd say both chipsets are supported by any of "libata" or "ahci" drivers,
depending on the BIOS settings for SATA modes.

> Note that at the moment I'm thinking of just using a single SATA (ie no
> RAID) but these seem to be the controllers so I'm presuming I need them
> to work okay!

Please note that the above page lists the status for the "RAID" feature.
Standard use of sata disks (non-raid setup) should be o.k.

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ASUS/A8V+Deluxe

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
michael

On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 17:30 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:10:20 +0000, michael wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 16:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> Side note: if you are considering mounting a RAID system, I would avoid
> >> using the so-called "fakeraid" chipsets (BIOS/RAID and driver -or dm-
> >> dependendant) and better go with a pure linux software raid (md).
> >>
> >> Another good option should be acquiring a real hardware raid card but
> >> they are a bit expensive.
> >>
> >> Greetings,
> > Camaleon, many thanks for the reply. Looks like the PROMISE one may be
> > problematic but the VIA one okay (is that correct reading?).
>
> I'd say both chipsets are supported by any of "libata" or "ahci" drivers,
> depending on the BIOS settings for SATA modes.
>
> > Note that at the moment I'm thinking of just using a single SATA (ie no
> > RAID) but these seem to be the controllers so I'm presuming I need them
> > to work okay!
>
> Please note that the above page lists the status for the "RAID" feature.
> Standard use of sata disks (non-raid setup) should be o.k.
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ASUS/A8V+Deluxe

Camaleon, brill! That's a most useful link. I'll get myself a SATA and
give it a whirl