Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Towncat

Default vg_md0-swap: not deactivating: busy

I'm trying to deactivate a logical volume and the volume group it is
inside, but I get this error message (not exactly, I'm writing this
from memory). The point is, that the system thinks the swap partition
is in use. However, this is not the swap the system is using (that's
on another partition), and I turned even that off (swapoff). /proc/
swaps, swapon -s, ps xaf, lsof do not give a hint (to me) -- what
could be holding that logical volume? (The other lv on that vg can be
deactivated without a problem, that's root, also unused).

Thanks,
tc

Old 01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Towncat

On Jan 7, 10:00 am, Towncat <towncat.town...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to deactivate a logical volume and the volume group it is
> inside, but I get this error message (not exactly, I'm writing this
> from memory). The point is, that the system thinks the swap partition
> is in use. However, this is not the swap the system is using (that's
> on another partition), and I turned even that off (swapoff). /proc/
> swaps, swapon -s, ps xaf, lsof do not give a hint (to me) -- what
> could be holding that logical volume? (The other lv on that vg can be
> deactivated without a problem, that's root, also unused).
>
> Thanks,
> tc

I tried several ways, formatted the lv with mke2fs, switched to single
user, rebooted, and there is just no way to get this particular
logical volume inactive. The strange thing is, there is no problem
with the other lv on the same vg, that can be activated right away.
But this one:

# lvchange -an /dev/vg_md0/swap
LV vg_md0/swap in use: not deactivating

What uses is? It is no longer swap, I even changed my fstab from
LABELs to drives.

So what now?

Old 01-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Towncat

On jan. 7, 17:20, Towncat <towncat.town...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 10:00 am, Towncat <towncat.town...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to deactivate a logical volume and the volume group it is
> > inside, but I get this error message (not exactly, I'm writing this
> > from memory). The point is, that the system thinks the swap partition
> > is in use. However, this is not the swap the system is using (that's
> > on another partition), and I turned even that off (swapoff). /proc/
> > swaps, swapon -s, ps xaf, lsof do not give a hint (to me) -- what
> > could be holding that logical volume? (The other lv on that vg can be
> > deactivated without a problem, that's root, also unused).
>
> > Thanks,
> > tc
>
> > --
>
> I tried several ways, formatted the lv with mke2fs, switched to single
> user, rebooted, and there is just no way to get this particular
> logical volume inactive. The strange thing is, there is no problem
> with the other lv on the same vg, that can be activated right away.
> But this one:
>
> # lvchange -an /dev/vg_md0/swap
> LV vg_md0/swap in use: not deactivating
>
> What uses is? It is no longer swap, I even changed my fstab from
> LABELs to drives.
>
> So what now?

Well, I do not seem to have received a hint...

I worked around the problem, booted from a rescue CD and removed the
lv from there. It seems the rescue CD does not activate the swap and
the logical volume can thus be deleted.